Effective Teaching – Programme for IIMB Alumni
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.Full disclaimer.
Teaching in Management education requires mastery of course design, class preparation and delivery, and creation of specific teaching aids. The programme on ‘Effective Teaching’ seeks to develop the specific competencies required for management teaching. The landscape of teaching and learning has considerably changed in the past few years. Technology in higher education has moved beyond passive teaching aids to MOOCs and asynchronous audio-visual modes of learning.This programme will introduce participants to the nuances of digital learning, including flipped classrooms and blended programmes.
- Teaching as a role and process.
- Course Design: Positioning.of the course within the programme; designing the flow of modules and topics in the course; defining the assurance of learning (AOL) and various forms of evaluations (exams, quizzes, assignments, projects, and simulation games); and decisions around pedagogy mix in the courses.
- Different types of courses (blended learning)
- Research as a competence
- Class preparation and delivery: Specific focus on case method of teaching; case selection, pre-class preparation, class room choreography, student engagement, managing blackboard plans; customizing teaching styles to different audiences; creating your own teaching style; and a teaching practicum.
- Case writing: Specific tools and techniques for writing management cases; defining case leads and learning outcomes; writing the case narrative; sourcing data for primary and secondary cases; the case writing project as a research programme; and writing effective teaching notes. The programme would also include a case writing practicum. The split model of the programme allows for participants to try their hand at writing a case in the break between the modules.
The programme will use a multiplicity of pedagogies, including case method of teaching.
- Develop a holistic insight towards teaching as a role and profession
- Helps transition from part time to fulltime teaching
- Becoming an effective teacher
Who should attend
- Should have taken at least one full course in a management school.
- Alumni of IIMB who have completed PGP, PGPPM, PGP(S)EM, EPGP programmes.