Who should attend
- All nonprofit leaders/executives
- Professionals who serve on nonprofit boards
- Team members of nonprofit organizations who interact with the Board of Directors
We suggest nonprofit executives and their board chairs attend this program together.
About the course
Increasing Board Effectiveness
With the growing social impact environment, nonprofit board members and their organizations need to function efficiently and effectively. They are frequently facing a challenging environment with increasing competition, sophisticated donors and new methods of solicitation. How should the nonprofit leaders change their approach to help board members react to this environment more effectively and provide leadership that supports their nonprofit organizations? How can board members use their time and commitment to become better ambassadors and help organizations increase their impact and meet their missions?
In this program, you will learn best practices to assist executives and board members in maximizing the organization’s potential. You will explore the role the board serves in your organization and principles to ensure your board is performing with a high level of integrity and responsibility. Kellogg Center for Nonprofit Management faculty and practitioners will engage you with a rich mix of classroom learning and interactive discussion.
Principles of High Performing Boards
February 5, 2020 | Kellogg Miami Campus
- Understand the role of the board and the relationship between the board and key members of the organization
- Learn best practices and critical principles to be an effective board member
- Experience a lively panel discussion, featuring current board members and senior executives discussing their experiences in nonprofit organizations
Building a Strong Board
March 3, 2020 | Northwestern San Francisco Campus
In this session, we will learn and explore board leadership, diversity and the role of a healthy board with respect to nonprofit leadership. Our objectives include:
- The realities and stresses of the board-staff relationship
- Best practices in the relationship between nonprofit senior leadership and the board of directors
- Exploration and introspection about diversity and representation on the board of directors
- Actionable diversity and representation steps for nonprofit leadership
Liz Livingston Howard is a graduate of Northwestern University and holds an MBA degree from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern. Ms. Howard is the Director of Kellogg's Nonprofit Management Executive Education programs and a Clinical Professor of Management. She developed and teaches...
Elise Madrick Townsend - Academic Director; Senior Program Administrator
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.