Effective Counselling Skills
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nanyang Technological University Center for Continuing Education.Full disclaimer.
Help People Heal. All of your employees face challenges, grief, demoralization, amongst others at one time or another. Everyone of us is affected at some time in our working lives, derailing productivity and even changing our ability to think clearly and rationally. Over a long process, we even lose our motivation and creativity. How can such traumatic experiences be managed through the cycles of grief. What can managers do to reach out? Indeed, what’s missing in the workplace is the connection between the grieving employee and the relationship to productivity and how to get it up to maximum level, and raise the employees to where you can help them get their lives together.
Participants will be able to
- identify with people and their problems
- pick up communication skills and conflict resolving skills
- learn counseling techniques
What is Counselling?
Why is counseling needed?
- Roles, Expectations and Benefits of counseling
- Functions of Counseling
- Exercise : Personal Traits of Counselors
Analysing People and their Problems
- Introduction to Transactional Analysis
- Behaviour, Feelings and Thinking
- Ego States and Personality
- Exercise: Self Awareness and Mapping Others
What Makes People Tick
- Social Communication and Relationship
- Giving Strokes and Receiving Stamps
- Scripts People Live By
- Life Positions and Outlook in Live
- Exercise: Analysing Everyday Conversations
Handling Interpersonal Conflicts
- Anger, Depression, Frustrations and Fear
- Leveling and Resolving Conflicts
- Exercise: Let’s resolve these conflicts
Basic Counseling Principles
- Assumptions and Values in Counseling
- Mental Health and Balanced Life
- Exercise: Value Clarification Game
Process of Counseling
- Steps in Counseling
- Skills in Counseling
- Psychology of Counseling
- Exercise: Test Your Counseling Skills
Counseling Techniques I
- How to start:
- How to identify problem
- How to listen, reflect and support
- Exercise: Role-play Technique 1
Counseling Techniques II
- How to Encourage Self Analysis?
- How to Explore Alternatives?
- How to reach a Conclusion?
- Exercise: Role-play Technique 2
Counseling Techniques III
- Skills for Ending a Session
- How to Follow Through?
- Exercise: Role-play Technique 3
Counseling Skills Practice
- Active & Reflective Listening
- Responding Skills
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Communication Skills
- Group Presentation
- Counseling: Pitfalls to avoid and the Success Formula
- Assessment and debrief
Who should attend
- Management staff,
- Supervisors, Teachers,
- Mentors who are involved in or leading team-based projects.