Educating Global Citizens
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Harvard Graduate School of Education.Full disclaimer.
How can we prepare our students to be engaged global citizens? What is global competence and how can we cultivate it in our students? How can we make the case for global education in schools?
Educating Global Citizens, an online professional development program for K-12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school leaders, begins with an introduction to global education. Professor Reimers and other specialists then focus the conversation on global competence, what it is and why it is important. Participants will identify barriers to global education in their context and will learn from examples of schools already incorporating global competence in K-12 systems. Finally, participants will explore strategies for advancing global education, building a toolkit to inform their future work.
The program is a mix of self-paced learning, facilitated group discussion, and job-embedded learning that will help educators understand, advocate for, and implement strategies for global competence with their students. Participants will learn tools and tips from the online lessons that they can weave directly into practice in their classrooms or schools.
This two-week online workshop includes a mix of self-paced learning, group discussion, and job-embedded application. Activities include:
- Video lectures from from Fernando Reimers and other experts on global education
- Research summaries and assigned readings
- Self-assessment and reflection prompts
- Facilitated cohort discussions
- Job-embedded practice, where you will apply the concepts and techniques learned*
A core part of the HGSE experience is cohort learning, and this curriculum is designed to create a community of practice for participants to learn with and from each other.
The online workshop will require a total of 5-7 hours of work. Participants who complete all individual assessments and contribute to group discussions will receive a certificate indicating completion of five clock hours of instruction.
*Note: all content is self-paced, including group discussions. Facilitators will moderate discussion boards throughout the two-week program.
- Understand the dimensions of global competence
- Make the case for global education programs in your school or district
- Recognize the significant barriers to advancing global education and explore strategies for overcoming them in your context
- Gather resources for your global education toolkit
Who should attend
- Instructional coaches
- School leaders