Who should attend
- Senior executives – managers, directors and vice presidents – responsible for creating and managing channels of distribution in manufacturing, wholesale, retail, and service firms
- Other senior leaders with strategic go-to-market responsibilities
- Entrepreneurs in need of a go-to-market strategy
About the course
Optimizing the customer experience
Regardless of your business model, this intensive program will teach you how to design, develop, maintain and manage productive go-to-market relationships that create and sustain competitive advantage. You'll be guided by some of some of the most highly regarded authorities in the field and learn to use a proven framework to synergize marketing and sales efforts, explore emerging technologies for increased efficiency and build productive, mutually rewarding relationships with channel partners and customers.
This program delivers high-value content and practical tools applicable across a wide range of channel structures and associated challenges: Consumer goods and services companies selling through wholesalers and retailers. Business-to-business firms working through independent distributors and sales representatives. Retailers seeking to improve efficiency in an increasingly competitive marketplace. Intermediaries seeking to preserve their role in an increasingly fluid channel structure.
- Develop analytic skills through case studies and interactive mystery shopping, and apply lessons learned to your organization’s channel system
- Learn methodologies and tools that will help you select channel intensity and appropriate partners, design incentives and resolve conflict
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of channel activities by leveraging emerging technologies
- Build symbiotic win-win-win channel and customer relationships
Designing Channel Strategies for Specific Marketing Segments
- Understand how your customers/end users buy and which channel benefits they value most - not just what, but how they want to buy
- Target the highest potential channel segments in your market
- Learn how to tailor channel experiences to deliver the priority benefits sought by channel customers
Organizing Channel Activities with the Right Set of Partners
- Choose fitting channel intermediaries for target channel segments
- Discover how to set your distribution intensity
- Allocate channel functions to appropriate channel members for efficiency, effectiveness and customer experience optimization
- Integrate your supply chain with your distribution and go-to-market approach
Empathizing with Partners to Re-engineer Your Channels
- Go beyond margins and commissions to solve critical business problems of fitting partners
- Learn how to work with partners to jointly identify and solve end-user problems
- Identify and manage around constraints that limit your optimal channel design
Aligning Channel Incentives from a Position of Power
- Use channel pricing to align partner incentives
- Leverage brand and expertise assets to become an indispensable channel partner
- Apply effective power sources to manage ongoing channel conflict
Special Feature: Using the Channel Audit Toolkit
The Channel Audit Toolkit leads you through a full channel analysis. The handbook describes the audit process, while the workbook aids in the assessment of your channel design and operation. The toolkit is designed for use not just during the program but in your business afterward.
Sunil Chopra is the IBM Distinguished Professor of Operations Management. He was also Interim Dean of the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University from 2009-2010. From 2006 – 2009, he served as Senior Associate Dean: Curriculum and Teaching. He became a faculty member of the school...
Anne Coughlan holds the Polk Brothers Chair in Retailing, and is a Professor of Marketing, at the Kellogg School of Management. She joined the faculty in 1985. Dr. Coughlan's main research interests are in the areas of distribution channels, sales force management and compensation, and pricing. C...
Richard I. Kolsky has spent the past twenty-eight years helping clients take marketing to the bottom line. Since receiving his Ph.D. in Economics from Yale University, Dr. Kolsky’s clients have used action-learning to convert many of today's fads--such as strategy innovation, market-focus, channe...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.