Who should attend
HR practitioners or line managers responsible for employment law issues within their organisation. No prior knowledge of the law relating to discrimination is required.
About the course
Gain a thorough understanding of the core principles of discrimination law, and its application in the workplace.
The Equality Act 2010 has streamlined existing discrimination law and introduced new concepts and provisions for employers. This course will help you ensure your organisation is legally compliant, whilst bringing you up to date on the latest developments in case law.
By the end of the Discrimination and the Law course, you'll be able to:
- identify the legal principles related to discrimination law and provide advice and guidance to your organisation
- understand the key provisions of the Equality Act
- advise your organisation on recent legal developments.
- Equality Act 2010
- Sources of discrimination law
- European laws
- Domestic laws
- Statutory bodies
- Who has protection from discrimination laws?
- How and when can discrimination occur?
- Legal liability
- The shifting burden of proof
- Secondary liability - the employer's defence
- Personal liability
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sex – including Equal Pay
- Sexual orientation
- Caste – update on introduction
Different types of discrimination
- Direct discrimination
- Indirect discrimination
- Associative discrimination
- Perceptive discrimination
- Discrimination arising from disability
- Positive action
- Occupational requirements
- Public sector duties
Terminating the employment relationship
- Discriminatory grounds for dismissal
- Dismissing on the grounds of disability
- Resignations and constructive dismissal
- Redundancy – selection and consultation
- Time limits
- Equal pay audits
- The role of acas
- Programme is subject to change pending new developments.
Cas Carrington is an extremely experienced employment law advisor and tutor who is widely known for her lively and informal style of delivering complex employment law issues and concepts. Cas is also an employee relations expert and her straightforward approach to tackling employee relations and...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.