Discovery Tools (Online Course)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Darden School of Business.Full disclaimer.
In order to invent, we need to first discover. In this course, you’ll learn about and practice five human-centered tools that help you learn how to discover opportunities that have always been there, but been overlooked. Great products and services depend on connecting with real humans, where it really counts. Join us in Discovery Tools to learn how to connect with those in your world.
At a Glance
Taught by practitioners for practitioners, this five-week course offers real-life examples to inspire your thinking and application of design principles. Expect to focus 5-8 hours per week on coursework.
Tim Ogilvie, CEO of Peer Insight, an innovation consultancy, and co-author of The Designing for Growth Field Book with Darden Professor Jeanne Liedtka, guides your exploration of the most effective design thinking tools available. In this course, you will learn to use tools from the field of human-centered design: stakeholder mapping, journey mapping, personas, value-chain analysis, the job-to-be-done, ethnographic interviews, and more. Learn to connect with your customers on a human level, to get beyond what they say and observe what they do. You'll learn to recognize weak signals about unarticulated needs and capture overlooked ideas. Each week's lesson contains video instruction, practical applications and action ideas and do's and don'ts from professionals who've extensively field-tested these concepts.
Accelerate Your Skills
- Fuel discovery sessions and connect with those you most want to serve in new, exciting and more powerful ways
- Experiment with a range of possibilities for uncovering customer, client or benefactor needs
- Amplify weak signals about unspoken desires to create truly novel insights that move your company or cause forward
This program is conducted entirely online over the course of five weeks. Each week, participants should expect to spend approximately five to eight hours viewing instructional videos and completing field work, readings, assignments and peer evaluations. Course readings are provided within the course. No additional text required.
For the course to be completely successful, participants should maintain respectful communication with the faculty and fellow participants and comply with all applicable rules, instructions, requirements and terms of service.
You'll walk away from Discovery Tools with:
- Five distinct human-centered tools for solving challenges at the core of your business or social cause
- Strategies to connect with your customers on a human level, to get beyond what they say and observe what they do to inspire deeper problem solving
- Research-based insight and hands-on best practices for implementing journey mapping, personas, framing, the job-to-be-done and ethnographic interviews right now in your organization
- The ability to generate products, services and experiences customers will truly love
Who should attend
This course is designed for managers who are ready to become design practitioners within their organizations. An independent but complementary training to Darden's popular Design Thinking courses, Discovery Tools benefits leaders who want to apply world-tested design principles to public or private sector development, including finance, engineering, technology and administration, as well as healthcare, education and social nonprofit causes.