Who should attend
- Mid-level and senior executives whose job responsibility includes seeking inputs from different functional areas, developing an integrative approach for strategic decision-making by satisfying claims of internal and external stakeholders without compromising financial targets.
- Entrepreneurs who want to develop a holistic understanding of a real-life business model..
About the course
Are you an effective decision maker? Can you motivate your team? Can you convince your superiors and your peers into buying your decisions?
If the answer to some or all the above questions is non-affirmative, then this 5-day program may be just the right thing for you. In this program, you would be able to enhance your decision making ability so as to help your business achieve sustainable and profitable growth. It recognizes that while making decisions, you are required to address the concerns of multiple stakeholders, such as your peers, superiors, juniors, customers, vendors etc. In addition to helping you to with your decision making model, this workshop will also expose you to the different decision making models of successful managers across the globe.
In our experience with training professionals over a number of years, we realized that adults retain a lot more if they can apply new knowledge and skills rather than just listening in a classroom.
A distinctive feature of this program is that it will utilize a hands-on approach to hone your decision making skills. We will use a SIMULATION where you will be a part of a top management team managing a multi-million dollar business. Refining your decision making skills, you have to compete not only with peers in the program, but also with teams across the globe. The decisions that you make will interact with decisions of other teams across the globe. At the end of the simulation, each team will be ranked globally which would give you a fair idea about your comparative decision making skills.
This simulation is extensively used by managers of Fortune 500 companies including GE, GM, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, Boeing, Citibank, Motorola etc. In India, it is used by companies like HUL, Asian Paints, TCS, Wipro, Infosys etc. Business schools, such as the IIMs, use it extensively as part of their curriculum to teach their students effective decision making skills.
In order to attain these objectives, the program will follow a two-pronged approach:
- Introduce toolkit for decision making
- Play out a simulation to put into practice the different decision making techniques
Through faculty presentations, case studies, small group discussions, individual exercises, simulation, and presentations, you will boost your diagnostic skills and decision making ability, and gain a deeper understanding of what drives organizations to success. Understanding the key performance indicators of various functional areas, i.e. Finance, Marketing and Advertising, Operations, Human Resource, R&D, and Quality, participant will learn the integrated decision making approach required for any successful business model.
- Analyzing why—given two companies in the same competitive environment—one collapses due to erroneous decisions
- Developing agile decision making capability of key decision makers within the company in the face of strategic uncertainty through a multi-period business simulation situation
- Manipulating decisions levers that transform traditional enterprises into nimbler companies
- Recognizing that organization is limited by the capacity and willingness of its people to respond to change and what you can do to transform it.
Prof. Sumanta Basu is an Associate Professor of Operations Management at Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He holds a doctoral degree in Production and Quantitative Methods from Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Prior joining to IIM Calcutta, he was in XLRI, Jamshedpur as a faculty...
Prof. Saptarshi Purkayastha is a faculty in the area of Strategic Management at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta. His primary research interest is in investigating the effectiveness of emerging market firms with a focus on internationalization and the role of governance in the managem...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.