Who should attend
- New senior managers needing to go beyond their functional area skills to applying strategic thinking skills as they develop departmental and organization-wide strategies in a senior leadership position.
- First-line managers and middle managers tasked with greater departmental strategic responsibility and needing a deeper understanding of how to combine macro-strategy, micro-strategy, and competitive strategy within their department and align with the organization’s overall strategy, vision and goals.
- Senior-level executives and people leaders who are looking for more formal strategy development and change management education to build resiliency, agility and infuse new thinking within their teams and the organization overall.
About the course
Do you know your organization’s strategy for the future? What goals have you set to realize that strategy? What are your objectives to achieve those goals? These are three vital questions to ask as you develop, examine and execute on your business model, which should be built on three layers: strategy, goals and objectives.
The most effective organizations are strategically aligned by these layers from top-to-bottom and across departments. The senior leadership’s vision, values, and goals are adopted by functional areas and passed down to individual departments and teams. Those teams create goals to help achieve the greater vision, and when everyone is working from the same strategic models and goals, organizations create meaningful outcomes for their stakeholders – both internally and externally.
This course on Developing Strategic Business Models will help you to develop and align the greater vision, values, purpose and goals of the organization; provide tools and techniques to inform and develop departmental and team goals and an action plan to meet them; and methodologies to effectively measure progress toward meeting goals and achieving objectives at the individual, team, departmental and organizational level.
What You’ll Learn
Aligning the Organizational Strategy with Internal and External Drivers
- Utilize tools and techniques, including environmental scanning, competitor and VRIO analyses, to identify external drivers of change
- Analyze existing business processes to ensure alignment with external drivers of change
- Develop goals and objectives to align the organization with the needed change strategy
- Complete an intelligent SWOT analysis to understand time-based objectives
Aligning Divisions to the Organizational Strategy
- Gain tools, models and methods to translate organizational goals into departmental goals
- Interpret and develop aligned goals and objectives to meet the needs and requirements of the team, division and/or department
- Develop a business planning template specific to your organization type (startup, small business, mature organization, etc.) to identify and consider future acquisitions and potential divestments
- Apply your plan to define and measure business goals and opportunities, both within and outside of the organization
Measuring Progress Toward Aligned Goals and Objectives
- Gain different tools and techniques for goal setting and how to best implement within your department and team
- Distill your goals into SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-bound) outcomes
- Create templates for success to measure and monitor progress toward those goals
- Establish elements of control to monitor that progress more easily
Action Planning within Teams and Departments
- Communicate the objectives and alignment plans to your team and/or department.
- Collaborate on action plans for teams and team members in setting and achieving their respective goals
- Appraise team members as they progress toward these goals and objectives
- Gain methods as a leader that engage and motivate your teams toward achieving their goals
Read more about Entrepreneurship
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.