Designing Strategy for Competitive Advantage
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with The London School of Economics and Political Science.Full disclaimer.
This course offers participants the skills required to analyse dynamic competitive situations in a way that will enable the design of effective and successful new business strategies.
Strategic analysis is one of the most fundamental tools that managers require to succeed, and many failures in business can be traced to the misinterpretation of this foundational concept in business.
This course will explore the drivers of a firm’s competitive advantage from short-term decisions, such as understanding the impact of a competitor's new patent, to more advanced decisions such as devising a strategic plan to react to disruptive technologies with an option to expand or abandon as the discontinuity unfolds.
This course is designed to introduce all fundamental concepts and use these as a foundation to understand more advanced material. A core strength of the course is the presentation of each concept with short counterintuitive examples so that the student recognises by her/himself the concept's meaning and value.
Major topics covered:
- The business model of the firm
- Competitive advantage
- Cumulative resources and growth
- Innovation and disruption
- Value chain and synergies
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the key drivers of competitive advantage for firms in product, service and experience good sectors
- Build awareness of the fundamental concepts of strategic analysis that (though often illustrated in simple settings) can indeed govern the most complex competitive scenarios
- Understand the frameworks needed to consider the challenges posed to those who run profit-making firms
- Gain a greater understanding of dynamics of growth and innovation and of the need for a strategic plan to navigate through them over time
- Take away knowledge of cases in different countries where firms made the right (or wrong) strategic decisions
- Understand the role innovation plays in disrupting and enhancing the strategic plan of the firm.
Who should attend
This executive course is suitable for:
- Executives searching for insight into the principles that govern competitive advantage across industries in our economy
- Professionals within public sector companies that need to interact with profit firms, for example in partnerships or alliances
- Individuals looking to understand the implications of a strategic plan for the lifespan of their own business
- Professionals from industries where formal strategic education has been delayed/traded in favour of further technical expertise training.