Design Thinking Workshop
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Darden School of Business.Full disclaimer.
This introduction to the design thinking process asks you to identify a human-centered problem to solve and begin as designers do - with the here-and-now needs, desires and behaviors of those who need innovation the most. Led by Darden professor Jeanne Liedtka, this program is designed to give you the leadership tools to broaden and deepen your work and to teach you the how-to of design thinking. A unique aspect of your online experience includes access to our mentors, veteran participants of our design thinking programs who will facilitate conversation and provide guidance during the course.
You'll craft and carry out a research plan that answers the question "What is?" and follow a guided process of gathering and identifying important insights about the needs and wants of others. You'll use this information to identify the attributes of an ideal solution and hear stories of design thinking at work to inspire ideas for moving your organization forward.
Then, by asking "What if?" you'll follow Professor Liedtka's disciplined - and different - approach to creative brainstorming, and consider a spectrum of possibilities and use the best ideas to generate solutions to your challenge. Next, you'll ask "What wows?" This critical analysis considers the needs of your stakeholders and your organization, and project feasibility to find the best intersection of potentials. Finally, you'll focus on "What works?" by bringing your ideas face-to-face with stakeholders.
Throughout the process, you will share questions, complete assignments, give and get feedback from your peers and follow real-time insights from practicing designers in class forums.
With the Design Thinking Workshop, you will leave with:
- The ability to work better with fewer resources by leading a lean research process that sparks creative innovation
- A toolbox of skills to systematically research key markets and pinpoint the territories with highest potential for innovation, evaluate failure intelligently and harness breakthroughs to propel company growth or social good
- First-hand knowledge and practical application examples from veteran designers
- A deeper understanding of how exactly to identify, map out and research business and social situations
- Stronger creative muscles to help you solve work and life challenges
- New perspectives on in-market experiments that save time and resources while revealing smarter outcomes
- A tested solution to your real-life problem that speaks directly to the unique needs of your target audience
Who should attend
Designed for managers who want to explore the principles of design thinking and how a human-centered approach to innovation can transform their organization, this course will benefit organizational leaders from the public and private sectors, including those in finance, engineering, technology and administration, as well as healthcare, education and social nonprofit causes.