Who should attend
This program is aimed at leaders at any level who want to build a deeper understanding of what design thinking is, how it is applied, and how to plan to begin implementing it in their organization.
About the course
Leading a culture of collaboration, experimentation and innovation
Faced with rapid and unpredictable disruption, successful leaders are turning to design thinking practices to change the way they plan, operate and innovate across the organization.
In this program, you will learn to apply the power of design thinking in your organization. Understand the design thinking process, and get practical instruction for planning, organizing and executing an effective design thinking session. Develop hands-on skills in design thinking tools and techniques. Explore leadership principles for nurturing a creative culture that can drive organizational learning and innovation.
Benefits for you
- Appreciate the core principles and appropriate use of design thinking in organizations
- Comprehend the design thinking process and how it unlocks organizational creativity and agility
- Learn the essential tools and tactics used in the application of design thinking
- Apply design thinking to develop innovative new products, services and processes
- Organize and lead a design thinking session
- Maximize organizational learning through experimentation, while minimizing overall risk
DAY 1: Introduction to Design Thinking
Module 1: The Changing Business Context
- Disruptive forces driving the collapse of the traditional business model
- How leaders are using design thinking to nurture a collaborative, innovative culture
- Divergent vs. convergent thinking and the double-diamond framework
- Core principles of design thinking and common variations
Module 2: The Designer’s Toolbox
- Ideation and different techniques
- Affinity clustering, dot-voting and prioritization
- Empathy mapping, personas and journey mapping
- Reframing and how-might-we statements
DAY 2: Applying the Design Thinking Method
Module 3: Failing Fast to Success
- Thinking like a designer
- Developing and testing solutions
- Prototyping and the value of failing fast
Module 4: Design Thinking Leadership
- Cultivating a creative culture
- Principles and practices of design-driven leadership
- Effective story telling
- Planning a design thinking session
Online program format
Each day of this two-day program includes one facilitator-led online session in real time. Sessions are highly interactive, enabling you to network with peers, brainstorm ideas and work through an applied practice problem. Between live sessions, you will have access to a self-directed learning hub where you can review additional learning resources and engage in a discussion forum with your learning peers.
Jonathan Carrigan is a passionate thought leader with over 15 years experience working at the intersection of technology, strategy, and design. Most recently, Jonathan was a founding member of a corporate transformation office at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) that oversaw and guided ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.