Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
Break through your messiest business problems. Find valuable insights hidden in plain sight. Set new standards for your teams and lead your organization and career to new heights. Darden’s Design Thinking and Innovation Specialization program empowers you to become a creative catalyst with a practical approach for generating new ideas and driving innovation. Whether you work in business, healthcare, education or a nonprofit, this hands-on training in the core principles of design thinking and leadership will help you solve your business challenges.
- Adopt a lean-thinking, human-centered design mindset
- Position yourself and act as a forward-thinking leader in your organization
- Conserve resources and generate better outcomes using a research-based approach to problem-solving
- Break mental models to discover opportunities that already exist within your organization
- Build the self and employee management skills that allow innovation to flourish
- Surface, define and refine viable ideas quickly so that you spend less time and brainpower on stalled ideas
- Share cross-departmental insights that break down silos, trigger collaboration and increase organizational momentum
- Use a step-by-step process for solving your most pressing challenges, whether they be increased visibility for new products, improved resource allocation or honing your ability to inspire and help the customer you most want to serve
Taught by Darden faculty members who are veteran practitioners of design thinking, the Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation program includes four 5-week project-based online courses:
- Design Thinking Part I: Insights to Inspiration - Identify a human-centered challenge to solve, focus on the needs of your target audience and determine the insights and tools necessary to come up with an ideal solution.
- Design Thinking Part II: Ideas to Action - Learn how to take the ideas you developed in Part I, test them for viability and bring them to market.
- Discovery Tools - Learn to use tools from the field of human-centered design to discover how to connect with your customers on a human level, to get beyond what they say and observe what they do.
- Creating the Innovative Workplace - Learn techniques for aligning key players and projects, managing conflict, balancing top-level objectives with mid-level knowledge and moving forward as a collective.
- Design Thinking Workshop - Offered only between June-August, this 8-week course combines Design Thinking Parts I & II and may be taken in place of both courses.
Courses can be taken in any order, though Design Thinking Part I must be completed before taking Design Thinking Part II.
In addition to the online classroom experience—videos, readings and assignments—mentors facilitate conversations and classmates give and receive feedback through online discussions. Review our policies and procedures for participating in online courses, and find answers to frequently asked questions.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.