Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This programme is suited for individual contributors, department heads, directors and business leaders who are responsible for driving innovation to solve business problems or enhancing the culture of their team or organisation.
Representative roles and industries that can benefit include:
- Solutions consulting directors, product or marketing directors, customer support service directors, client relations and innovation directors
- Business development consultants, management consultants
- Head of digital products, IT, product development, marketing
- Design managers, senior product managers, engagement managers
- Innovation-driven industries where design thinking is critical, including information technology, ecommerce, banking and finance, marketing, entertainment, hospitality, retail and more
About the course
Learn how to use design thinking to improve your organisation’s products and services and meet the changing needs of your customers through innovation for business.
Design thinking is a process that relies on understanding users’ needs and experiences as they continue to evolve. It is a solution-focused mindset that is critical to developing new ideas that can uncover potential opportunities, challenge assumptions and lead to product and service innovations. Through analysis and imagination, design thinking empowers organisations to identify and implement human-centred and action-oriented solutions to complex business problems.
Gaining deeper insight into the target users’ needs and expectations in turn leads to more value creation. This is the core of design thinking, and it leads to improved products, services and internal processes. From learning the practical applications of design thinking to building products and services that meet the functional, social and emotional needs of your customers, this programme will give you the knowledge to develop user-centric designs that will help you address your customers’ pain points and meet your business goals.
Programme Learning Journey
Module 1: Introduction to Design Thinking
- Identify the customer journey, problem statement or underlying issue and possible solution options
- Pinpoint target users and design interview questionnaires to understand customer pain points
Module 2: Develop an Empathy Map
- Develop an empathy map to define customer profile and needs by using ethnographic research methods (interviews and observations)
Module 3: Develop a Persona
- Map the customer journey to understand customers' experiences with your product/service
- Develop persona(s) of your target customers
Module 4: Define a Point of View
- Analyse customers' professional profiles to gather a customer's functional, social, emotional and basic needs
- Cluster your insights and develop a point of view to envision and evaluate possible solutions
Module 5: Ideate and Synthesise
- Brainstorm ideas to explore solutions that will help customers meet their needs
- Identify desirable features of solutions and cluster ideas
- Select high-quality solution ideas that can be prototyped
Module 6: Prototype and Experiment
- Design a prototype for the selected idea to enable a conversation with the stakeholders
- Derive insights from user-prototype interactions and stakeholder feedback to rectify flaws, address constraints and enhance strengths
- Discuss the importance of failing quickly and cheaply
Module 7: Validate and Refine
- Refine prototype and solutions based on feedback from target users to better fit with user needs
- Test and refine point of view (POV)
Module 8: Practical Applications of Innovation and Complementary Tools
- Discuss the practical applications of design thinking
- Describe the applications of complementary tools of innovation: Value Proposition Designer, Business Model Canvas
Education Qualifications PhD, Business and Management, University of South Australia, 2012 Graduate Diploma, Management Research, University of South Australia, 2010 MBA, Banking & Finance, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1996 Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), Electrical, Natio...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.