Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Senior executives who want to strengthen their ability to lead innovation and enhance their organisation’s innovation capability
- Team leaders and managers seeking to develop and integrate cutting-edge creative practices into their business processes and corporate culture
- Executives seeking to learn new problem-solving approaches to innovation, building upon creativity research, design thinking and lean startup principles
About the course
Becoming a ‘catalyst of innovation’ in your organisation requires mastering three fundamental creative skills. You need to uncover innovation opportunities by looking at problems and situations with a user-centric mindset; you need to think differently to search for novel alternatives to your existing solution paths; and you need to embrace an experimental attitude to iteratively discover what is truly useful, feasible and viable. Such skills are at the heart of good design, and they can actually be learned and honed.
Design is a transformational force that helps organisations build innovative products, services and experiences that connect and resonate with customers. This enables meaningful and emotional differentiation in the eyes of consumers. Not surprisingly, design has become increasingly important in business circles, and organisations are increasingly trying to understand and master the competitive advantage that design can offer.
Building upon our 10-year partnership with ArtCenter College of Design in California - one of the most influential design schools in the world - INSEAD has developed a unique programme to help business leaders integrate design thinking with their business thinking for successful innovating: Innovation by Design.
How you benefit
- Acquire the mindset and managerial levers needed to develop a design-driven organisational culture, that fosters successful innovation
- Master the skills needed to sustain creative-thinking capabilities
- Acquire a methodology to allow you to put design thinking into action
- Learn how to solve problems creatively in any setting by working in interdisciplinary teams supported by designers
Through a mix of lectures and demonstrations, creative challenges associated with real-world problems and case studies from different industries, Innovation by Design will help participants learn how to innovate by using the power of design and design thinking. The hands-on, workshop format of the programme maximises the programme’s pedagogical value and outcome.
- Understanding problems from a human perspective, critical to finding meaningful purpose behind any innovation
- Learn novel ways to uncover insights behind what users need and desire
- Understanding why searching for novelty and usefulness is the essence of creativity
- Unpack the creativity phenomenon and learn strategies to enable creative ideating
Rapid and cheap iterating
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of iterating in a quick, 'dirty', yet valid, manner
- Learn to design, evaluate and execute iterations to move preliminary ideas to truly desirable, feasible and viable states
Creative organisational cultures
- Understand how to conceive a creative organisational culture in order to bring the power of design to your organisation
- Discuss the key managerial levers needed to activate an organisational culture that supports creative thinking and creative action
- Learn how to make transformation a reality in your organisation by efficiently engaging in the process of becoming more innovative
- Discuss the challenges and opportunities of transforming traditional organisations into more innovative ones in both the private and public sector
Manuel E. Sosa is an Associate Professor of Technology and Operations Management and the Director of the Heinrich and Esther Baumann–Steiner Fund for Creativity and Business at INSEAD. He received a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Universidad Simón Bolívar (Caracas, Venezuela) and an SM ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.