Who should attend
This is a course for designers and people who work with design, seeking an introduction and experience in working with sustainability in the design process. Design for Sustainability is suitable both for experienced professionals and for recent graduates wanting to make the sustainability agenda their own, as well as for both sustainability novices and sustainability passionistas, who have already taken the first couple of steps.
About the course
Design for Sustainability is a course for designers and people who work with design, and offers a hands-on introduction to integrating sustainability within the design process. It is multi-disciplinary, and so is applicable to all design disciplines (fashion, product, service, business model, architecture, UX, strategy, etc.).
This four-week course will introduce practical ideas, concepts, and processes through which designers can create more sustainable outcomes at all levels. Design for Sustainability takes you through the basic tools of designing for sustainability: Systems mapping, design thinking for sustainability, circular economy and an understanding of impacts. All aimed at defining and integrating sustainability in your work and you taking ownership of “sustainability”.
You will learn through a combination of discussions, short lectures, inspirational case studies, introduction to tools, and practical application of tools through hands-on assignment briefs.
- Introduction to sustainability in design, why, how and what
- Strategies for sustainability
- Design thinking for design for sustainability
- Introduction to design for sustainability tools
- Exploration of systems thinking and systems mapping
- Introduction to circular economy concepts
- Circularity of materials and waste
- Waste as a resource
- Redesign processes for sustainability
- Life cycle analysis and impact measurement
- People centred design
- Learning from nature: Permaculture principles, biomimicry
- Transition design
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an overview of the main drivers of sustainability, internationally and cross-sectoral
- Know the main strategies for sustainability
- Explore the sustainability potential in your work
- Establish fluency in the jargon jungle
- Understand the sustainable impact in your own value chain
- Have insight into designing processes for sustainability
- Understand the tools to advocate sustainable design and create better or more sustainable designs yourself
- Work on a live project of your choosing, designing for sustainability
- Present your design for sustainability to the group and receive tutor feedback
Why choose a London College of Communication Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Communication wherever you are in the world. Additionally all LCC Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCC Certificate upon completion
Laetitia studied textile design at the Ecole Nationale Suprérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. Her master’s thesis on "High Performance Materials for Sustainable Homes" enquiry into the potential of technology in solving functionality focused issues in textiles through sustainable means. This r...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.