Design for Assembly in Manufacturing
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nanyang Technological University Center for Continuing Education.Full disclaimer.
Best-selling products are innovative, satisfy customer needs, are of high quality and are value for money. Under-pinning a best-selling product are ease of manufacture and assembly. Typically 53% of all manufacturing time is due to assembly while 75% of the cost of a manufactured product is determined at the design stage. It is therefore imperative to learn about the underlying principles of design for ease of assembly.
The course is designed for technical personnel in design, manufacturing, process and quality control. After the course, participants can appreciate the underlying principles and rules for manufacturing a high quality, cost-effective product.
The objective of the course is to teach the principles and techniques to design for ease of assembly.
- To learn the basic principles of design for assembly
- To be able to assess a design/product for ease of assembly
- To improve on the design/product for easy of assembly
- Material properties.
- Fabrication process capabilities.
- Component/part design.
- Basic design rules.
Product and Process Design for Easy Assembly
- Introduction to assembly tasks, methods and systems.
- Understand the rules and axioms for the design of components for ease of assembly.
Understand the rules and axioms for the design of assembly processes.
Design for Manual Assembly
- Understand techniques and methods to assure fool-proof assembly
- Learn how to design for effective manual assembly
Apply the DFMA Methodology to assess ease of manual assembly
Design of Assembly Systems
- Learn how to design for high speed automatic assembly
- Understand the need to ‘balance’ an assembly line for equitable task allocation.
- Parts feeding and orienting: vibratory and non-vibratory, orienting devices; escapements. Robot assembly.
- Assessment 3 and Revision
Who should attend
Relevant occupations include:
- Manufacturing engineers
- Product designers
- Quality control inspectors
- Process engineers
- Materials procurement executives