Who should attend
- Design Managers
- Product Managers
- Production/Factory Managers
About the course
Are you ready to make a step change in the efficiency of your assembly line? Good design can greatly simplify the process of manufacturing a product, resulting in significant reductions in cost and assembly time.
This course covers the IfM’s proven approach to improving product design to make production line assembly as easy as possible – dramatically increasing the number of units you can make and the speed with which you can make them. Bespoke courses delivered using this approach have resulted in assembly times being cut by more than half and generated significant increases in productivity and quality. The course is suitable whatever the scale of production or size of the products.
What you will learn
- Consider targets for improvement – what should you be aiming for?
- The principles of design for assembly
- Take apart a product and put it back together to see what works and what doesn’t by applying the principles
- How to identify potential product design problems and potential improvements that could be implemented
- Review of the assembly line process, considering key metrics such as the production rate, total work in involved, takt times etc
- How to benchmark against industry designs
- Decide on an action plan to incorporate a step-change in a product's change a product’s design and assembly process
- Assimilate knowledge of key design rules
Dr James Moultrie is a Senior Lecturer in Design Management at the Institute for Manufacturing, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge. He is a fellow in engineering at Selwyn College, Cambridge and is Director of Graduate Education for the School of Technology. James is also an Asso...
Colin Haden joined IfM ECS in 2015. He was previously with the BOC and The Linde Group, having held senior management and functional roles in operations, technical, marketing and business development within global functions and operating businesses. He was Head of the CoE for Gases Packaging team...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.