Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Designed for both business professionals who are looking to increase their knowledge of data science and how it can help them in their current roles, and business leaders who are looking to create data-savvy teams and improve the performance of their departments and the company overall. We encourage strategic leaders, business analysts and IT managers from across your organization to attend together to improve overall data collaboration.
About the course
Discover the tools and techniques for analyzing data and how to use new insights to sharpen the execution of business and functional strategies.
Part of the three-program Data Science for Business Strategy series.
The second course in the Data Science for Business Strategy series, Data Science Methods & Applications introduces key data science terminology and techniques, and a process that leaders can incorporate into the work and workflow of their organizations.
Offered as part of a three-program series, Data Science Methods & Applications is led by thought leaders from UVA Darden Executive Education, UVA Data Science and UVA McIntire School of Commerce, recognized as experts in data science techniques and tools, and the application of those in the modern business context.
The other two programs in this series are:
- Strategic Use of Data
- Managing Information for Analytics
Each program may be taken as a stand alone course, or you may take all three programs to earn a noncredit Certificate in Data Science for Business Strategy and gain a unique and comprehensive perspective on how data science drives business.
Discover the tools and techniques for analyzing data and how to use new insights to sharpen the execution of business and functional strategies. Through lectures, case studies, group discussion, and hands-on sessions, you will study real-world applications of data science techniques, culminating in a competition connecting analytics and business strategy. This program provides an introduction to the tools and technologies available to analyze and interpret data, and create the powerful insights leaders need to take action and lead their team with confidence. You'll explore:
- Development of insights using data visualization techniques and tools such as Tableau
- Analysis of data using techniques such as regression and classification and tools such as Excel, Python and Jupyter
- Processes and workflows that guide business leaders and teams through the steps to address business challenges and opportunities using data and analytics
- Managerial issues that are essential to consider as you deploy analytical insights within your team or organization
Schedule and Session Topics
Each day of the program will run from approximately 8:30am-5:00pm. Sessions include:
- Data Visualization
- Tableau Demonstration
- Text Mining
- Simulation: Connecting Strategy & Analytics
- Machine Learning
Impact & Outcomes
- Apply insights to address challenges or opportunities facing your own organization.
- Understand how analytics and decision making are iterative processes, as each decision provides new data to analyze and interpret.
- Consider the problems data can present and how to overcome them.
- Discover innovative ways to address problems using data science techniques.
- Understand the lifelong learning approach required to stay current on the application of data science methods for business problems due to the rapidly changing nature of the technological landscape.
Education: B.E., Computer Science, University of Madras, India; Ph.D., Marketing, University of Houston Professor of Business Administration Rajkumar Venkatesan teaches Marketing Technology Products, Marketing Strategy, and Marketing Analytics at Darden. Venkatesan''s research focuses on ana...
Education: B.Sc., Ben-Gurion University; MSc, London School of Economics; Ph.D., MRes, London Business School Associate Professor Yael Grushka-Cockayne''s research and teaching activities focus on data science, forecasting, project management, and behavioral decision making. Her research is publ...
Education: B.S., James Madison University; M.S., Ph.D., Duke University Assistant Professor Michael Albert teaches Quantitative Analysis courses in Darden’s MBA program, and he has joint appointments in Systems Engineering and Computer Science in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (S...
Brian Wright is an Assistant Professor with UVA's Data Science Institute with a joint appointment in the Curry School of Education. He's also Vice President for DC Data Community a non-profit organization with roughly 25,000 members focusing on data science education and networking across the DC ...
Areas of expertise and teaching include: Data Visualization Performance-Driven Design / Simulation Modeling Energy, Daylighting, and Passive Design in buildings Analytic CAD / BIM Data Science applications Strategic Applications of Technology Affilitated Centers: Data Science Institut...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.