Who should attend
Designed for both business professionals who are looking to increase their knowledge of data science and how it can help them in their current roles, and business leaders who are looking to create data-savvy teams and improve the performance of their departments and the company overall.
About the course
Discover the tools and techniques for analyzing data and how to use new insights to sharpen the execution of business and functional strategies.
Get real-world experience with the tools and technologies available to analyze and interpret data, to create the powerful insights businesses need to take action.
Offered as part of a three-program series, Data Science in Action is led by thought leaders from both UVA Darden Executive Education and UVA Data Science, recognized as experts in data science techniques and tools, and the application of those in the modern business context.
The other two programs in this series are:
- Strategic Use of Data
- Building a Data Pipeline
Each program may be taken as a stand alone course, or you may take all three programs to gain a unique and comprehensive perspective on data science in business.
This program will provide a better understanding of the terminology, concepts and tools commonly associated with data science as well as explore the latest research in analytics and the implications for the future.
- Focus on analytics through regression, data visualization, data mining, machine learning, and text analytics.
- Participate in case study and use case exercises designed to provide exposure to the practical application of methodologies and technologies used to store, process, and analyze data.
- Participate in a simulation connecting analytics to strategy.
Schedule and Session Topics
Each day of the program will run from approximately 8:30am-5:00pm. Sessions include:
- Data Visualization
- Tableau Demonstration
- Text Mining
- Simulation: Connecting Strategy & Analytics
- Machine Learning
Impact & Outcomes
- Apply insights to address challenges or opportunities facing your own organization.
- Understand how analytics and decision making are iterative processes, as each decision provides new data to analyze and interpret.
- Consider the problems data can present and how to overcome them.
- Discover innovative ways to address problems using data science techniques.
- Understand the lifelong learning approach required to stay current on the application of data science methods for business problems due to the rapidly changing nature of the technological landscape.
Education: B.E., Computer Science, University of Madras, India; Ph.D., Marketing, University of Houston Professor of Business Administration Rajkumar Venkatesan teaches Marketing Technology Products, Marketing Strategy, and Marketing Analytics at Darden. Venkatesan''s research focuses on ana...
Brian Wright is an Assistant Professor with UVA's Data Science Institute with a joint appointment in the Curry School of Education. He's also Vice President for DC Data Community a non-profit organization with roughly 25,000 members focusing on data science education and networking across the DC ...
Areas of expertise and teaching include: Data Visualization Performance-Driven Design / Simulation Modeling Energy, Daylighting, and Passive Design in buildings Analytic CAD / BIM Data Science applications Strategic Applications of Technology Affilitated Centers: Data Science Institut...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.