Who should attend
This course is accessible to professionals from a wide range of sectors and backgrounds who are new to the field of data engineering.
UTS microcredentials are developed for professionals with a capacity to undertake postgraduate tertiary education.
About the course
This microcredential provides a comprehensive overview of the foundations of data engineering – a set of infrastructure platforms and capabilities that allows organisations to acquire, transform, store and curate data, with the ultimate goal of realising value from data.
About this course
Taking a broad perspective, this course helps participants from diverse backgrounds to be better informed when working with data engineering teams, or planning for data engineering as part of their team’s projects or operations.
Beginning with an overview of a typical data value chain, the course then introduces data infrastructure and data pipelines, alongside examples of implementation technologies. A range of issues around data quality, security, monitoring and governance are explored, with the ultimate goal of demonstrating how data engineering helps organisations extract and realise value from their data assets.
During this course you will meet and work with a dedicated course facilitator, who will support your learning and engagement with teaching resources designed by the lead academic and team of experts in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology.
This course is structured into four modules. Each module comprises self-study materials and facilitated online sessions. The four modules and key topics covered are:
- Data value chain
- Data as a business asset
- Data value chain
- Data governance
- Data quality.
- Data infrastructure and data pipelines
- Types and sources of data
- Types of databases
- ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) and variations
- Tools for pipeline processing
- Data infrastructure engineering platforms
- Real-time (streaming) data.
- Data Curation
- Metadata and schemas
- Organising data sets
- Data storage and distribution
- Data security
- Data monitoring
- Data governance (revisited).
- Realising value from data
- Data optimisation
- Self-service business intelligence
- Feature engineering
- Interfacing with data analytics and data science tools.
This course is delivered in a scheduled format over ten weeks.
Each week (during weeks 1 to 8) you will participate in an online session where you will have the chance to apply what you've learned, ask questions and hear from other participants who are taking the course with you. The workshops are led by the course facilitator.
Weeks nine and ten are planned to give you time to complete the final assignment, with support and scheduled Q&A sessions provided.
Key benefits of this microcredential
- An end-to-end introduction to the field of data engineering – understand the value and key processes in data engineering as a starting point to supporting data engineering in your organisation, or to support further study in the field
- Development of your understanding of key technologies and concepts, along with hands-on activities and case studies exploring real data sets
- Complete as a self-contained course, or as a potential pathway to future postgraduate study.
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.