Who should attend
Developed specifically for mining industry executives and professionals, this program will be of interest to those in:
- Senior operational roles such as senior engineers, geologists, mill/mine managers and technical supervisors/superintendents
- Corporate roles such as environmental and sustainability professionals, corporate and business development managers, CFOs and investment decision makers
- Consultants and associates from EPC and EPCM firms and from non-technical consulting firms; environmental and sustainability consultants
About the course
Today’s fast-paced business environment requires mining industry leaders to tackle long-standing industry challenges at a pace and scale previously unseen.
Immense opportunities exist for those companies capable of making dynamic decisions based on sound mining analysis and interpretation of data.
Focused on data-generated insights, this mining analytics program introduces predictive analytics as a tool for decision making and teaches participants the skills to interpret meaning and communicate results. Attendees will leave fully equipped to use analytics in their decisions in the global mining industry to increase productivity and efficiency, improve safety and lower costs. In short, they will become data-savvy leaders who drive business performance through the smart use of advanced analytics.
- Understand when and how data analytics can be applied to create value in a mining context.
- Structure and formulate business problems to facilitate data insights.
- Identify the advantages, disadvantages and requirements of using external versus internal data teams.
- Interpret data analytics to generate business solutions.
- Communicate the results of data analytics and their meaning to others.
- Improve a struggling mining operation with data-backed insights in a business simulation.
Hands-on Experiential Learning!
Participants will work in teams to apply advanced data analytics to a business simulation for improving operations. Findings and recommendations will be presented to a panel of industry experts from companies such as Yamana Gold, Anaconda Mining, Torex Gold Resources and others!
Course content details
Data, Technology and Analytics
How can mining industry executives and professionals create business intelligence from data? Discussion of the terminology, tools and usefulness of analytics. The different applications of data analytics.
- Understand when and how data analytics can be useful in the context of the limitations of statistical analysis
- Appreciate the link between various technologies such as AI and the IoT and data analytics
Leading with Analytics
How can leaders use data analytics in mining? Exploration of the tools and frameworks that support the interpretation of data and their use as part of sound decision making processes. Identification of business problems with data analytics applications. Assessment of applicability and opportunities in your own organization.
- Understand how data analytics can be applied to mining business problems
- Learn to identify the best approach to data-analytics for your organization · Leverage your business expertise paired with data analytics to maximize your impact
- Understand the key message of the data
- Learn to use data to create insights and business intelligence
Communicating Data in Mining
Participants learn about communication strategies and how to present their data-base business solutions to various stakeholders. Application of learnings to a business simulation and presentation to a panel of industry experts from companies such as Yamana Gold, Anaconda Mining, Torex Gold Resources and others.
- Understand the key elements of a compelling presentation
- Appreciate what executives and other decision makers are really looking for
- Get feedback from a panel of mining industry experts
Ash serves as managing director for the mining practice at Uptake, a leading industrial-AI and enterprise software company. At Uptake, his team guides mining companies towards excellence across the value chain by leveraging data from various sources within operations. Over the past few years, Ash...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.