Who should attend
This introductory level course is ideal for middle and upper managers, analysts, project leaders and others in a non-technical field who would like to gain an overview of the concepts and capabilities of business analytics.
About the course
You will learn analytics best practices used by the world’s top companies to develop opportunities for innovation and growth. You will also gain hands-on experience working with Excel tools for obtaining analytics-based solutions. Through this program, you will:
- Learn what analytics is, how it is applied across diverse industries, and how it can be applied to your own organization
- Discover how analytics can generate new business insights and opportunities
- Learn how analytics can mitigate risk, uncertainty and process variability
- Identify challenges in developing analytics strategies
- Experience how spreadsheet models can help solve challenging decisions
Through interactive discussion and hands-on exercises, this program will cover:
- Descriptive analytics: understanding what data to collect and what it is telling you, data visualization techniques to envision important factors and relationships, quantifying your data, data variability, dealing with limited data
- Predictive analytics: foreseeing what is likely to occur based on what has happened in the past, mining your data to predict customer demand and preferences, strategies and tactics for deploying predictive analytics initiatives
- Prescriptive analytics: understanding your data to make better decisions, “what if” scenario analysis, minimizing pitfalls such as process variability and the “flaw of averages”, outcome optimization
- Best-in-practice analytics methods: analytics best practices, implementation challenges, getting started with analytics methods that can be applied to your organization
Tim Huh is a full professor in the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia. His current research interests include operations management, inventory control, supply chain management and dynamic pricing. He has worked with companies in the semiconductor industries, health c...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.