This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Are you being asked to shape how your organization protects its customer data or email systems? Are your customers relying on you to protect their payment information? Do you need a place to start learning about fundamental cybersecurity concepts?
This two-week crash course is designed for leaders, professionals, and entrepreneurs who have a limited technical background related to cybersecurity, data security, and information technology. The JMU Cybersecurity Basics for Managers noncredit certificate program is discussion-oriented and formatted for the working professional.
Participants will gain knowledge that can inform their strategies to mitigate cybersecurity risks, secure data and information, build secure infrastructure, and hire qualified personnel and vendors.
- What is the goal of information security?
- Who are the attackers, and what motivates them?
- How does information relate to your organization's business priority?
- Understand the Tradeoffs: How can we balance the probability and potential impact of events with the cost to protect against them?
- Jargon 101: From Trojans, RATS, and NIDS to brute force, threat hunting, and blue hats, learn the terms important to the cybersecurity conversation.
- What are the resources to explore best practices in data protection?
- What are the major federal regulatory laws?
- Social Engineering: How to Encourage Employees to Protect the Front Lines
- Solutions and Snake Oil: Can we know if vendors and software will deliver on their promises?
- Yikes! Now what? Identify considerations and approaches if data is compromised.
- Additional resources
Trust the experts
Successful leader focused on computer and network systems security with a strong background in cloud, DevOps, architecture, and engineering. Experience with defense-in-depth and risk management consulting while maintaining technical skills. I have successfully led security and engineering project...