This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
The future of business strategy.
Shared Value is a Harvard Business School strategic approach for organisations to build financial value by actively addressing society’s challenges with new models and products. Shared Value goes beyond social responsibility and corporate charity, to solve social challenges by reshaping the core business, profitably.
Gone are the days when simply making a financial contribution to a corporate social investment initiative could isolate companies from the realities of the environment in which they operate.
This programme provides executives with the insight and tools to understand, design, implement and communicate a Shared Value strategy.
11 benefits of creating Shared Value:
- Attains a social license;
- Creates a purpose-led firm;
- Develops new products Enhances business opportunities and markets;
- Drives innovation;
- Solves social challenges;
- Articulates business impact;
- Builds brand trust;
- Attracts millennials;
- Improves partnerships;
- Enhances business opportunities; and
- Exerts political pressure.
- Jabulile Mpanza, development economist: Shared Value practice, Genesis Analytics;
- Kagiso Mamabolo, analyst: Shared Value practice, Genesis Analytics;
- Norman Mbazima, chair, Anglo American South Africa;
- Gary Greyling, managing director, Mpowered Business Solutions;
- Sazini Majapelo, head of group citizenship: Africa, Barclays Africa;
- Lisa Mondschein, head of operations: The Global Vitality Network, Discovery;
- Banele Lukhele, freelance educator and writer, Luk Arts; and
- David Blyth, marketing and brand strategy practitioner, Yellowwood.
How you will benefit
- Gain experience from senior business leaders through case studies;
- Make sense of the major political, economic and social forces shaping the environment of business in South Africa today;
- Analyse your organisation’s stakeholders to mitigate pressure and manage relationships for mutual benefit;
- Understand the public policy process and how to engage with it;
- Learn how to assess your current corporate societal strategy and performance;
- Learn how Shared Value strategy developed by the Harvard Business School can improve societal impact profitably; and
- Improve strategic communication of positive societal relations.
Key Focus Areas:
- Pro-active stakeholder engagement;
- Exploring the realities of the business environment;
- Shared Value business strategy;
- Engaging with government and public policy;
- Analysing the health of your company’s societal relationship;
- Building a corporate societal strategy for business value; and
- Strategic communication of societal value.
Who should attend
Senior and mid-level executives in:
- Corporate affairs;
- Public affairs;
- Government relations;
- Policy and advocacy;
- Stakeholder management;
- Corporate social responsibility;
- Integrated reporting; and
Trust the experts
Ryan Short is Partner at Genesis Analytics, where he is Head of the Shared Value practice. Genesis Analytics is the largest economics-based consultancy in Africa. Ryan is a management consultant advising clients in Africa at the intersection of business, government and society. He works with ex...