Who should attend
Creating Breakthrough Strategies (Live Online): 4 Steps to Winning is designed for executives of all levels responsible for strategic development, with primary responsibility for making the changes necessary to enable effective execution of strategy, or those with P&L responsibility who seek to become more strategic in their thinking.
About the course
In today’s dynamic world, the old static planning methods no longer work. The key to success is to create an adaptive enterprise capable of generating winning strategies and renewing those strategies as the environment changes.
Creating Breakthrough Strategies: 4 Steps to Winning offers a set of practical tools to achieve this kind of organizational agility. The program introduces you to the Strategic Learning Process, a unique 4-step model which has been battle tested and is being applied successfully by many global companies and not-for-profit organizations to create and implement winning strategies repeatedly over time.
The Strategic Learning Process
Strategic Learning is an insight-to-action process. The four linked action steps move in a cycle (see picture below): 1) Learn about the external environment and your organization’s own realities; 2) Focus by making choices about where you will compete and how you will win; 3) Align your people and your business system behind your strategy; 4) Execute faster and better than your competitors.
That takes the firm back to the Learn step, thus creating an ongoing cycle of learning and renewal.
During the program you will benefit from the opportunity to apply your learning to an important personal case with the help and insight of faculty and peers.
You will learn how to apply the market-tested Strategic Learning methodology: the four-step cycle designed to create and sustain winning performance. During the program, you will be given a workbook of practical tools you can use immediately upon returning to your organization.
"We believe that our job is to bring you the best ideas on strategic leadership, together with powerful tools to turn them into action. That is what we aim to do in Creating Breakthrough Strategies." –Willie Pietersen and Peter Meola, Faculty Directors
Summary of Benefits
- Learn to conduct a Situation Analysis: a powerful method for creating insights into the external environment and your company’s own realities
- Improve your ability to foresee change and its implications
- Create a “Winning Proposition” that differentiates your organization and provides superior value for your customers and shareholders
- Learn how to win hearts and minds of your people and align your business system behind your strategy
- Master the golden rules of effective implementation, and leadership of change
- Understand how to monitor and measure the success of your strategy, and how to apply rapid corrective actions
On the first day, participants will be asked to begin to articulate a personal case which identifies a strategic challenge they are facing. This pressing issue becomes the foundation for the participant’s personal case, which they discuss and address throughout the program by applying the Strategic Learning Process.
- Strategic Learning Overview
- Winning at insight through your Situation Analysis
- Making strategic choices and developing your Winning Proposition and Key Priorities
- Mobilizing the power of organizational alignment
- Mastering the Golden Rules for Effective Implementation
- Leading change and renewal
- How it really works! (Hear from a senior executive on the realities of successful application of the process)
Willie Pietersen was raised in South Africa, and received a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University. After practicing law, he embarked on an international business career. Over a period of twenty years he served as the CEO of multibillion-dollar businesses such as Lever Foods, Seagram USA, Tropic...
After over 25 years as a senior executive of multinational businesses, Peter is a member of the faculty at Columbia Business School in New York. His primary areas of focus and passion are Leadership of Organizational Culture, as well as, Strategic Learning as a Leadership Process, which is uniqu...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.