In a multi-business organization, long-term success depends on two important factors. The first is the competitive performance of its operating units, i.e., their ability to create and capture value in different market environments. The second is the parent company’s ability to make individual businesses stronger than they could be independently.
The program Corporate Strategy (COS) addresses these management challenges at the corporate level. Participants will focus on the complex challenges of developing a promising portfolio of businesses, executing necessary portfolio changes, determining the right level of cross-business interaction and central influences, and communicating a rationale for the existence of the multi-business firm as a whole. They will also better understand the interaction of capital markets and corporate strategies.
The corporate strategy program will help participants to design, communicate, and execute strategies that can create long-term value for their multi-business organiza-tion. Participants will:
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on corporate-level strategy
- Improve their ability to assess a business portfolio strategically
- Understand the unique levers that underpin value creation across businesses
- Gain a strategic view on different modes to execute portfolio changes
- Better understand the interaction between capital market and corporate strategy
Participants also have the opportunity to exchange experiences with other high-profiled managers and extend their business network.
- Corporate strategy versus business strategy
- Concept of parenting advantage as guideline for corporate strategy
- Portfolio planning and resource allocation
- Forms to execute portfolio changes: M&A, alliances, internal development
- Strategic rationale of acquisitions and divestments (e.g. spin-offs)
- Levers to add value to individual businesses
- Evaluating synergy potential
- Success factors of the organization and the management of multi-business firms
- Optimizing the role of the corporate center
- Interacting with the capital market
Who should attend
This program is designed for senior executives of multi-business firms, either in a group-wide function or as managers of larger parts (divisions). Executives preparing to take on cross-business unit responsibilities also will benefit. Created with the perspective of general managers in mind, the program is also well suited for executives who are specialists in group functions like strategy, corporate development, M&A, and finance. Company advisors, such as consultants, investment bankers, and lawyers, can develop a strategic view beyond the transactional aspect of corporate development.
Since the program aims to create value across multiple businesses, teams including both corporate and business unit executives are also encouraged to participate. Team members will return to their organizations with shared perspectives and frameworks that enable them to work together more productively.