Corporate Governance: Effectiveness and Accountability in the Boardroom
This highly interactive and engaging program will prepare you to claim your seat on the board with confidence and to deal effectively with those difficult, often unpredictable situations that all directors inevitably must face.
You'll be guided by top Kellogg faculty in collaboration with recognized corporate governance experts, to deepen your understanding of your responsibilities as a board member, develop the essential skills and strategic insight needed serve effectively and learn how to apply them in practice. You’ll orient yourself to the shareholders’ perspective, gain an understanding of the interests of multiple constituencies and learn frameworks that can move the board beyond ensuring compliance to identifying opportunities for long-term value creation.
- Develop a deeper understanding of board governance models
- Analyze the role of the board vis-à-vis management, internal and external auditors, and other outside advisors
- Understand how to navigate boardroom conflicts
- Engage in a “board in crisis” case simulation
- Study the legal and ethical challenges faced by today’s boards in areas such as executive compensation
- Become conversant in current boardroom topics such as cyber security and activist investors
Understanding the Role of the Board
- Different models of governance
- Board and committee responsibilities
- The board’s role in a crisis
Understanding the role of the Committees
- Executive compensation issues and trends
- Audit committee issues
- Recruiting new board members
- Legal issues
- Activist investors
- Cyber security
Who should attend
- New board members or senior executives who expect to be on a board in the near future
- Experienced board members who are in need of a "refresher"
- Executives from outside North America who wish to learn about North American governance practices