The success of any piece of published writing can be enhanced by the editing and proofreading work of a great copy-editor.
Whether you’re in the writing industry and want to boost your skill set; or are looking to move into a freelance copy-editor or copywriting role - your ability to proofread proficiently is a copy-editing skill worth recognising.
In 10 weeks, this copy-editing course will help you turn your love for correct grammar and perfect punctuation into a copy-editing career. Armed with a certificate from UCT and the ability to critically assess copy, you’ll become an invaluable editing asset.
What will set you apart
This copy-editing course will give you the confidence to:
- Assess and critique the underlying structure of chapters, documents or manuscripts
- Identify and correct spelling or punctuation errors
- Prepare a manuscript for typesetting and write a design brief
- Investigate the various elements of a book and the role of an copy-editor in getting a book ready to be published
- Deal with plagiarism and copyright infringement appropriately
This copy-editing course is designed to give you the practical skills and expertise you need in the copy-editing field. With a personalised and supported framework, you’ll study in your own time, guided by industry experts and a dedicated support team. Here’s what you’ll cover in your copy-editing course:
- Orientation Module: Welcome to your Online Campus
- Course Module 1: Introduction to editing
- Course Module 2: Spelling
- Course Module 3: Punctuation
- Course Module 4: Grammar and style
- Course Module 5: Working with authors
- Course Module 6: Quotes and sources
- Course Module 7: Structural editing
- Course Module 8: Editing creative works
- Course Module 9: Elements of a book
- Course Module 10: Working as an editor or proofreader