Who should attend
This contract law short course is highly participative and will provide delegates with the opportunity to engage in interactive learning with the course tutor as well as each other through practical exercises, which will combine contractual theory with practice and develop each delegate’s communication skills. There will also be a focus on delegates’ own contracts and work in progress throughout the course.
About the course
This contract law course will enable executives to communicate and operate more effectively in the International business environment by improving their ability to read, understand and manage international contracts drafted in English.
The course will improve delegates’ ability to decipher contractual and general legal jargon in international contracts. It will also enable delegates to understand the basic tenets of English contract law and the general principles of law which underpin international contracts.
By The End Of This Course You Will Be Able To
- Understand and interpret the purpose of common clauses found in international contracts;
- Understand the legal principles which underpin such clauses and explain their purpose to others;
- Understand their way around an international contract by increasing their understanding of contractual structure, as well as understanding the legal purpose, meaning and application of standard clauses;
- Manage contracts more effectively by deciphering contractual and general legal jargon;
- Understand and apply the basic principles of contract law to a variety of common business situations and to their own work.
- First principles of English contract and commercial law: what these principles are and how they can affect contracts and common business situations.
- Basic principles of liability under English law: how liability is constructed and interpreted by the courts, as well as how it can be mitigated for business purposes.
- Key terms in international contracts: their meaning, use and application to standard contract types as well as delegates’ own contracts.
- Contract structure: the major parts of an international contract, their particular purposes and uses in international businesses.
- Contract clauses and sample agreements: typical types of international contracts; “boilerplate” clauses such as governing law, jurisdiction and arbitration; and “operative” clauses like terms, conditions, warranties and guarantees.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.