Who should attend
This course is designed for new hires and career professionals in the federal acquisition field, including contracting officers, contract specialists, contracting officer representatives, program and project managers, small business specialists, and industry contracting personnel. This course is Defense Acquisition University equivalent, and satisfies both the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and Federal Acquisition Certification in Contracting (FAC-C) requirements.
About the course
This course is the fourth and final module of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Fundamentals course series. It consists of a limited lecture and exercised-based curriculum that enables you to learn all aspects of contract management, including the handling of contract modifications and contract closeout. You’ll learn how to address issues that are likely to arise during the course of a contract such as performance problems, delays, and disputes. You’ll also learn how to administer essential tasks like monitoring, payment processing, and proper contract closeout. If you are interested in taking all four courses (CON 090-1, CON 090-2, CON 090-3, and CON 090-4) as one bundled course offering, please contact the course administrator.
What You Will Learn
- Contract administration basics, including contract modifications
- Administration of common terms and conditions
- Delays, disputes, and appeals
- Quality assurance
- Payment and cost allowability
- Terminations - for convenience, for default, and for cause
- Final payment and contract closeout
How You Will Benefit
- Identify the fundamental concepts of contract administration.
- Learn the rights of the parties when contract performance is not timely.
- Discover the government’s rights when contractor performance does not comply with the contract specifications.
- Discuss the policies and procedures for handling contract modifications, disputes, and appeals.
- Apply the requirements of the applicable contract clause to a given contracting scenario.
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION BASICS
- Assigning and performing contract administration
- Post-award orientation of contractors
CONTRACT PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Production surveillance
- Performance delays, suspensions of work, and work stoppages
- Contractors’ management and use of government property
- Preparing and processing contract modifications
- Constructive changes
- Change orders
- Delivery payment versus contract financing payment
- Applicability of payment clauses
- Allowability of costs
DISPUTES AND APPEALS
- Disputes process
- Claim determination
CONTRACT TERMINATIONS AND CLOSEOUT
- Contract termination procedures
- Government’s liabilities associated with contract terminations
Alexis Kirksey is the Program Manager for The Contracting Education Academy at Georgia Tech, operating within the Georgia Institute of Technology’s Enterprise Innovation Institute. Her expertise includes providing consultation to government and industry in all aspects of government contracting, i...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.