Communities of Practice
SIM Professional Development
- 2 days
- in person
SIM Professional Development
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
- Professionals, managers or executives who intend to build capabilities in specific areas by learning from and with each other
- Individuals who intend to start and cultivate communities to build capabilities
- Individuals who are currently managing communities and seek to further enhance community leadership, facilitation and evaluation skills and techniques.
About the course
Changing the way organisation learn and build capabilities
Communities of Practice (CoPs) are self-organising groups of people who share a passion for a subject matter, and who interact regularly to share their experiences. Leading organisations in both private and public sectors have discovered that CoPs are ideal in developing strategic capabilities. When informal communities like CoPs are well-integrated with formal communities, organisations are often able to achieve their strategic objectives. The purpose of this workshop is to equip participants with advanced concepts and models related to CoPs, design principles and critical success factors to build communities. In addition, participants will be equipped with the skills and tools on how to successfully launch and sustain CoPs.
Specific activities include story telling using the language of the CoP model, discussion on challenges related to knowledge sharing win CoPs using a Poker Card game, and reflection of one’s own organization on the enablers and challenges for community start up and cultivation.
The workshop consists of and makes use of the following: Lecture, Discussion, Worksheets, Games, Videos and Role-plays.
Benefits to You
By attending this workshop, participants will be able build communities to shorten learning curve, learn from best practices and solve work challenges. This will lead to improved work performance, increase in productivity and ultimately higher revenues.
In an evidence-based coaching programme that will guide you towards exploring your potential, you will:-
Apply key CoP elements to shape your own CoPs
Explain the benefits that CoPs bring to members and to organisations
Apply strategies that could support the growth and sustainability of CoPs
Explain how stories can be captured to assess value of CoPs to members
•Outline a launch process for CoPs
- Different forms of CoPs and their difference to other learning structures
- Key elements of CoPs
- Role of CoPs in promoting excellence in organisations
- CoP framework and lifecycle Building and cultivating successful CoPs
- Insights and lessons learnt from CoPs
- Community design and evaluation templates
Some reviews for this course are not publicly available