Who should attend
- Senior leadership executives and high-potential professionals in Business Development, Sales, and Marketing Teams
- Professionals in leadership roles at Nonprofit and Service Organizations
- Web Developers and Engineers
- Entrepreneurs seeking to develop profound leadership communications skills
About the course
Speaking with confidence and effective business communication skills can dramatically change an executive’s impact as a leader. Whether it be in meetings, town halls, or presentations, a confident leader needs compelling interpersonal relationships and professional communication skills to bring their work to the next level.
The Communications Excellence program is a communication skills training where you will discover the importance of leadership and communication and its relationship to productive business approaches. You will be empowered to ditch your public speaking anxiety and develop your effective presentation abilities that will inspire the audience.
Evolve Your Personal Communication Style
Develop personal strategies to advance good communication skills uniquely suited to you and your business.
Interact with Clear Intent
Understand why communication is important in business and learn how to tailor your verbal, nonverbal, or communications tools, such as presentations and PowerPoint.
Establish Your Confidence and Leadership Presence
Leverage your breath, body, and voice to maximize your impact and presence while public speaking. Through intentional practice, you will master how to seamlessly integrate each element of effective communication.
Craft and Deliver a Truly Memorable Pitch
Learn how to create a memorable pitch that demonstrates your communications skills and connects your audience with a message that is authentic, clear, and powerful.
Master Advanced Presentation Skills
Recognize when something is not working and know how to confidently adjust by applying high-level presentation skills.
The Communication Excellence program curriculum covers the following topics:
TOPIC 1 | The Science of the Message Part 1: Verbal & Nonverbal Skills
- Principles of persuasive storytelling
- Negotiation to add value and as a relationship-building tool
- Fundamental concepts to use in every negotiation
- Psychology of negotiation
- Common negotiation mistakes
TOPIC 2 | The Science of the Message Part 2: Focus on Brain, Breath & Body
- The empirical principles of persuasion
- Presentation organization: the ladder of abstraction
- Anticipation and answering disruptive questions
- The importance of centering
- Breath & voice exercises
TOPIC 3 | Persuasive Storytelling Strategies: Using the Senses
- Create an effective opening for a compelling story
- How to use all the senses to engage audiences
TOPIC 4 | Persuasive Storytelling Strategies: Using Data
- How to organize content and use data for clarity and impact
- Visual aids and powerpoint best practices for success
TOPIC 5 | Giving & Receiving Feedback
- How to receive and use feedback
- How to provide effective feedback
TOPIC 6 | Virtual Pitch Skills
- Understand the differences between virtual and in-person presentations
- Best practices for virtual presentations
Education B.A. Literature, Yale University, 1979 Coro Foundation, Fellow, Arts and Public Policy Positions Held At Haas since 2013 2015 – present, Special Creative Advisor (formerly COO), CreativeFuture 2013 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business 2013 – present, Faculty, Chapman...
Penny Kreitzer has been Voice and Dialogue Coach on Academy Award nominated documentaries “Promises” and “Regret to Inform”. As a professional, award-winning actress Penny has performed at many theatres in the US including the Berkeley Repertory Theatre and The American Conservatory Theatre in th...
Richard Freishtat serves as Senior Consultant in the Center for Teaching and Learning at UC Berkeley, where he designs and delivers a full range of enrichment initiatives and consultation services to the 2000+ faculty across campus. In addition to teaching in the Executive Education program at Be...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.