Coaching & Mentoring Workshop
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nanyang Technological University Center for Continuing Education.Full disclaimer.
One of the key qualities of highly successful leaders is the ability to mentor and coach effectively. In this session, leaders learn how to coach and mentor using various tools and techniques. They learn the GROW Model, which assures that any coaching or mentoring session is effective and productive.
This workshop is designed to be highly interactive with a mix of theory and practical sessions (group problem-solving/planning, experiential practice with role-playing of varying difficulty scenarios, interactive discussions & application exercises). Participants will emerge from the workshop having the knowledge and skills to become much more effective coaches and mentors. Also, they will know how to use the tools and techniques to drive staff motivators, ownership, productivity and effectiveness in their workplaces.
Scenarios of varying complexity will be used to enable the participants to apply their messaging skills in situations that have contrasting dynamics. They will learn how their communication strengths in one situation can become a heavy obstacle in another, and how to therefore put their “best foot forward’ as consistently credible and motivating senior management mentors – regardless of the coachee/mentee’s personality type and frame of reference.
In the above instances, the case studies will be critically examined and prioritised in complexity to suit the demographics of the participants
By the end of the workshop, participants will:
- Have developed an understanding of the principles of coaching and mentoring
- Understand the part that coaching and mentoring play in the performance management context
- Have identified the competencies a manager must develop in order to be an effective coach, and an inspiring mentor - and when to use each intervention
- Be able to use the GROW model with a high-comfort level and efficacy in both coaching and mentoring contexts
- Be able to create a nurturing, productive environment
- Understand how personalities & communication styles can create conflict, and learn how to adapt their styles to a productive coaching/mentoring outcome
- How to deal with different types of performance issues
- Have developed an understanding of productive questioning skills
- Have had the opportunity to develop and practice their skills in a supportive environment, and receive feedback and skill-coaching on their performance
- Be in a position to confidently use their new knowledge and skills in the workplace and have a clear plan of action to implement
The What and Why of Coaching & Mentoring; The Processes as Learning Platforms
- An in-depth discussion of coaching and mentoring, their differences, and their value and importance to an organisation.
Basic Coaching Models, Mentoring Models and Goal-Setting Approaches
- An overview of coaching and mentoring models and goals-theory application approaches.
Coaching & Mentoring in Practice - Do’s and Don’ts
- Learn the many facets of coaching including what to do and what not to do.
- Techniques and tools to use to become highly effective coaches and mentors.
Understanding Personality and Its Implications on Your Coaching/Mentoring Style
- The physical elements of coaching/mentoring delivery including the your tone of voice, word choice, body language, and timing.
- An understanding of how to devise coaching/mentoring strategies and anticipate pacing requirements that will be effective with a variety of coachees/mentees.
Understanding How to Use Vocal and Visual Control in Coaching & Mentoring
- Vocal and Visual control, and their contributory ratios to the unspoken “balance of power” in any human interaction.
Using the GROW Model for Collaborative Coaching
- Examine the spectrum of GROW questions.
- Learn how to build on existing knowledge of open, closed and funnel questions in hands-on contexts, applying question-layering techniques to fulfill the GROW cycle.
Using the PUSH and PULL strategies
- Approach differences from the previous module will be illustrated.
- Prepare for more complex case scenarios, through role-plays and hands-on practice.
- Plan and execute 2 influencing and engagement coaching approaches.
Handling Emotional Behaviour
- Transactional Analysis concepts will be facilitated.
- Learn how to equalise crossed and ulterior transactions, by simple application of the TA steps.
- Discuss implications for the manager of EQ, IQ and AQ, and each aspect’s impact on individual coaching & mentoring approaches.
Who should attend
Management staff who understand that coaching & mentoring are an essential part of the Collaborative Management skill-set, and who wish to learn how they can achieve performance gains and results through coaching and mentoring.