About the course
Our Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management & Leadership is designed for strategic managers aspiring to develop their skills.
Developed for directors and senior managers who have the responsibility to translate organisational strategy into effective performance, the Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership require the manager to focus on the implementation of their organisational strategy.
Challenging you to think strategically and see the bigger picture in your organisation, this intensive programme and accreditation process will give you the skills and confidence to implement and successfully manage organisational change. You will develop management and leadership skills needed at a strategic level, equipping you to manage capably and lead business units more effectively.
Underpinning Programme Rationale
The aim of this senior and strategically focussed programme will be to improve self-awareness, and develop Authentic Leadership characteristics (Bill George – True North). The Certificate programme will consist of 3 inter connected workshops:
- Understanding self as a Senior, Strategic Leader
- Leading Organisational Performance
- Leading Strategic Change
The Diploma programme will consist of a further two modules:
- Leading Strategic Projects
- Leading Culture
The fundamental aim of this programme, to develop a high performing business culture, will guide all inputs, learning points and exercises. We will develop coaching skills, peer support and leadership communication organically by introducing structured coaching exercises that will ask learners to integrate and apply the learning points to their professional practice, throughout the workshop.
Our training methodology is:
- To provide leading insights; thought leadership and research in the field of leadership.
- To communicate these through relevant illustrations and stories that will resonate with delegates.
- To integrate learning points into the delegates’ professional experience through engaging interactive and challenging exercises.
- To support application learning, post workshop, through clearly defined action points and ongoing reflective practice.
The training programme will be accredited by a Level 7 (post graduate) Certificate from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). To earn this professional leadership qualification, participants will complete 2 reflective assignments:
- Personal leadership development as a strategic manager
- Reviewing organisational strategy plans and performance
Diploma students will be asked to write a further 3 assignments:
- Developing performance management strategies
- Conducting a strategic management project
- Implementing organisational change strategies
These written assignments will require delegates to consider the taught content, reflect on the most relevant aspects, and actively apply them to the business, maintaining a reflective journal throughout. They will need to demonstrate how they have enhanced their leadership practice, and how the taught concepts have supported a high performing business culture.
Learning Outcomes for Day 1: Understanding Self as a Senior, Strategic Leader
Participants will be able to:
- State, with certainty and clarity, the connection between effective, visible leadership and a high performing business culture.
- Define Authentic and Transformational Leadership, and analyse own leadership style against these concepts.
- Consider own underpinning motivations, values and belief around self and others, and how these personal factors influence own leadership approach.
- Reflect on alignment of own values and organisational values / behaviours.
- Use objective data from psychometrics to inform own leadership approach, and to analyse the performance and culture in own department, and the wider business.
- Consider team performance against a ‘best practice’ paradigm using Magerison-McCann research, and make evidence based recommendations for enhancement.
- Analyse the role of Emotional Intelligence in leading, motivating and engaging with individuals and teams.
- Apply the principles of Transactional Analysis to effective communication and conflict management. Utilise subsets of TA, including Psychological Strokes, Drivers and The Drama Triangle, to manage own interaction and create an ‘Adult’ performance culture.
- Establish how to apply the Situational Leadership model to self and others to enable continuous development.
- Define the connection between Coaching and Mentoring to genuine delegation.
- Engage in reflective practice and coaching conversations.
Learning Outcomes for Day 2: Leading Organisational Performance
- Define the role of social awareness and social management (Emotional Intelligence) in leading others
- Apply the Situational Leadership method to team leadership to enhance capabilities within the team, and create greater opportunity to delegate
- Utilising a structured approach, develop a functional, high performing team, and create an action plan to enhance own team culture
- Apply current research relating to team performance to own team and personal leadership approach
- Define the role of leadership, and the necessity of considered delegation, for setting the conditions for optimal performance
- Enhance own leadership impact by holding an outcome focussed, performance coaching conversation
Learning Outcomes for Day 3: Leading Strategic Change
- Consider own organisation within the VUCA world order; Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous
- Understand the connection between resilience and ‘change readiness’. Apply current research in resilience to own organisational context and situation
- Apply classical and leading models and analytical frameworks to the ‘macro-sphere’; systematically identify internal and external drivers for change
- Define the neurological impact of change on human psychology
- Articulate the reasons why change projects fail, and the impact of change on people in organisations
- Lead strategically, and humanely; apply best practice to own strategic environment
- Consider methods for communicating effectively during change cycles
- Positively use change as an opportunity to enhance performance and develop resilience in individuals, teams and the organisation.
Learning Outcomes for Day 4: Leading Strategic Projects
- Clarify the difference between operational and strategic projects, examining current thought leadership
- Utilise a practical yet strategic research based method to plan project interventions to work with complex, potentially unsolvable, ‘wicked’ problems
- Develop bespoke research methods to build knowledge around organisational topics and problems
- Apply leading stakeholder management methods to grow own power and influence
- Consider communication strategies that will enable effective delegation and execution
- Explore the Agile and Distributed Leadership methodologies, within differing organisational structures
- Identify own real world project to lead as a basis for the CMI assignment, and portfolio evidence
- Work collaboratively to design innovative strategic project interventions
Learning Outcomes for Day 5: Leading Culture
- Define organisational Culture, and why it is important – “Culture eats strategy for breakfast” (Peter Druker)
- Consider the notion that Organisational Culture is both something an organisation ‘has’, and something an organisational ‘is’
- Identify the role of strategic frameworks, Vision, Mission and Values, in forming and setting the conditions for a desirable organisational culture
- Utilise a range of classical and current models to explore, clarify and explain own organisational culture
- Conduct a cultural audit: consider the strengths and weaknesses of own organisational culture, and strategies to enhance culture
- Identify where strategy may not be aligned to culture, and likely outcomes, and potential solutions
- Develop a leadership action plan to build and shape a strong organisational culture.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.