About the course
This qualification is designed to provide you with a deeper understanding of the HR function. It will help you develop your ability to evaluate the effectiveness of different HR models and practices, and increase your understanding of the external factors that impact upon HR activities and organisations. It will develop your ability to think strategically and improve overall performance.
It is suited to individuals who are:
- an aspiring or existing HR manager
- and/or have completed the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in HR Practice
- UK or overseas based
Leads to CIPD Associate membership (Assoc CIPD)
CIPD Enterprises have exclusively partnered with digital experts AVADO, the UK’s largest online provider for professional qualifications, to enable you to complete the CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Certificate in Human Resource Management 100% online.
Our partnership is award-winning and provides you with a leading-edge online learning experience, including:
- 24-hour access to a Virtual Learning Campus (VLC)
- Designed for use on all internet-enabled devices
- Structured milestones to keep you on track
- Personal and proactive tutor support via phone, email and online
- Regular live interactive online classes, recorded so you can also watch later
- Regular learning checks and practice tests so you know how you are progressing
- Social and collaborative learning, including forums and group work
- Free access to exclusive careers hub
Achieve CIPD Professional membership Successful completion leads to Associate membership of the CIPD. Associate membership is the first level of professional membership of the CIPD, and allows you to use the designation Assoc CIPD after your name to showcase your credentials. It’s an achievement that makes you stand out in your career and is respected and valued by employers. It also emphasises your commitment to continuing professional development and a desire to stay current.
On successful completion of the qualification, you will:
- understand the requirements of, and perform as, an effective and efficient, self-managing HR professional, a collaborative member of working groups and teams, and a added-value contributor to the organisation
- understand the purpose and key objectives of the HR function in contemporary organisations, including how HR objectives are delivered, how the HR function is evaluated and the role of ethics and professionalism in HR
- understand key labour market trends and their significance for different kinds of organisations and in different country contexts
- be able to manage recruitment, selection, dismissal, redundancy and retirement activities effectively and within the expectations of the law and good practice
- be able to undertake core talent planning activities, know how to maximise employee retention, and how to contribute to the development of resourcing strategies
- understand the business context of reward and the use of reward intelligence, including key reward principles, policies and practices, and the role of line managers in promoting a performance culture in reward decision making and driving sustained organisation performance
- understand the development and purpose of employment law, ensuring fair and lawful treatment at work, managing issues relating to pay and working time, performance, disciplinary matters and reorganisation and change
- know how to identify and scrutinise appropriate HR data sources enabling you to conduct small scale research and analyse the findings, drawing meaningful conclusions and evaluate options for change
- know how to deliver clear, business-focused reports on an HR issue.
This qualification is delivered and assessed fully online; the programme is eleven months long.
To gain your CIPD Intermediate Certificate you must complete the following six units:
Developing professional practice
Gain a better understanding of the role of the HR professional and what skills are required to work within the sector; learn about conflict resolution and how to create your own personal development plan.
Business issues and the context of HR
Learn how to use data to measure business performance; gain a full understanding of the job market; and develop possible obstacles and risks to the organisation.
Using information in HR
Be able to use quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to analyse and interpret business trends; and present cost-benefit and resource analysis data to different stakeholders.
Gain a deeper understanding of social justice in the workplace, the employment tribunal system, contracts of employment; learn how to manage redundancy, disciplinary hearings and unfair and constructive dismissal.
Resourcing and talent planning
Learn how to strategise for labour supply and the levels of available talent; be able to create a system for succession planning and appraisals; gain a deeper understanding of recruitment and selection, and employee retention plans and reward strategies.
Managing and Coordinating the Human Resources Function
Gain insight in to the key objectives of HR departments in contemporary organisations. Different ways of delivering HR objectives and emerging developments in the management of the employment relationship are explored; as well as the methods that can be used to demonstrate that HR adds value for organisations.
On successful completion of the programme, you’ll be awarded the CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Certificate in Human Resource Management. The qualification is accredited by the CIPD and is on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 5.
Successful completion leads to Associate membership of the CIPD. Associate membership is the first level of professional membership of the CIPD, and allows you to use the designation Assoc CIPD after your name to showcase your credentials.
How to gain
To gain the CIPD Intermediate Level 5 Certificate in Human Resource Management, you must successfully complete the six programme units. This qualification is delivered and assessed fully online.
For each of the six units you need to:
- complete and full participate in each unit
- successfully pass the assessment for each unit.
All assessments are submitted and marked through the Virtual Learning Campus and can include projects, portfolios, digital and written assessments. There are no examinations for this qualification.
Please note that you are required to become a Student member of the CIPD at the start of your qualification. As well as giving you instant access to resources that will help you in your studies and at work, you’ll also benefit from numerous networking opportunities and some great discounts.
- Exclusive partnership between CIPD Enterprises and digital learning experts AVADO
- Benefit from unique content from CIPD HR experts with cutting edge online learning techniques
- Flexible programme allowing you study when and where you want
- No exams, no mandatory face-to-face workshops
- Regular start dates, so no need to wait
- 24-hour access to our Virtual Learning Campus (VLC)
- Personal tutor support via phone, email and online
- Regular live interactive online classes, tailored to your group’s needs
- Social and collaborative learning, including forums and group work
- Free access to exclusive careers hub.
Who should attend
This qualification is right for you if you’re:
- currently working in the field of HR management
- wishing to extend your knowledge and skills and further develop your career
- have responsibility for implementing HR policies and strategies
- an aspiring or existing HR Manager and/or have studied the CIPD Level 3 Certificate in HR Practice. This course provides a great bridge between the Foundation Level 3 and Advanced Level 7 CIPD courses
- looking to prove your credibility and become CIPD professional member - successful completion of this qualification automatically leads to Associate membership of the CIPD, the first level of professional membership.
CIPD qualifications are internationally recognised, and our online programmes are applicable to HR professionals across the world in all sectors and organisations.
CIPD HR and L&D Campus Tour