Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
The qualifications are for L&D practitioners at all levels. If you’re looking to progress in your L&D career, develop the most up to date L&D expertise and gain a professional qualification, this is the programme for you.
- You may be at an early stage in your L&D career and looking to understand the context of L&D, and how to design and develop digital and blended learning solutions
- If you have a few years’ experience, you can gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to manage the L&D business function, use metrics to build business cases for L&D and develop your organisation’s leaders and managers
- If you’re an experienced L&D professional, you can get the very latest L&D updates and explore new ways to lead L&D initiatives. Plus, develop your expertise in newer areas of L&D including social and collaborative learning
- These qualifications are also suitable if you are transferring careers (i.e. from teaching), elsewhere in HR and other training environments. Call us to find out if this qualification is for you.
About the course
In the 14-month Diploma, learners complete the five modules of the CIPD Level 5 Foundation Certificate plus one pathway containing two optional modules each, choosing the set that best suits their career aims in order to gain industry-defining knowledge.
- Enhance your strategic mindset to align L&D with organisational goals
- Earn insights and expertise to become a recognised L&D thought leader
Leads to CIPD Associate membership (Assoc CIPD)
Delivered 100% online, in partnership with digital learning experts AVADO.
Gold Winner for 'Best Training Partnership' at the 2016 Training Journal Awards and Silver Winner for Best Online Distance Learning Programme at the 2016 Learning Technologies Awards
The programme will help you to implement cutting-edge L&D in your organisation. You’ll acquire the very latest L&D knowledge and skills that you’ll need to transform L&D in your organisation. You will enhance your career progression and earning potential and achieve your CIPD qualification in L&D to prove your credibility.
Learning is entirely online, so you can study when and where suits you!
- Be motivated by the experience, knowledge and insights of leading L&D expert practitioners
- Enjoy support and guidance from our expert team of tutors and community managers as you learn
- Benefit from a rich learning experience as you network and discuss learning points with L&D practitioners from a range of backgrounds.
Achieve CIPD Professional Membership Successful completion leads to Associate membership of the CIPD. Associate membership is the first level of professional membership of the CIPD, and allows you to use the designation Assoc CIPD after your name to showcase your credentials. It’s an achievement that makes you stand out in your career and is respected and valued by employers. It also emphasises your commitment to continuing professional development and a desire to stay current.
About CIPD Enterprises and AVADO CIPD Enterprises and AVADO have exclusively partnered to bring you 100% online CIPD qualifications in HR and L&D. This is a partnership you can trust to provide you with a leading-edge online learning experience. You’ll learn through social and collaborative techniques and technology and gain the confidence to apply this in your own organisation.
- AVADO is the UK’s largest online provider for professional qualifications. Their online training courses are award-winning, cutting edge and interactive
- Learn online flexibly where and when you want
- No mandatory workshops to attend.
- Apply the latest L&D research and thinking in your role
- Demonstrate a sound theoretical basis that underpins your practice
- Experience digital and social collaborative approaches to learning
- Understand creative digital learning design and delivery methods that you can replicate
- Enhance your career prospects with a recognised professional qualification
- Gain Associate membership of the CIPD to enhance your professional standing and profile
- Establish on going networking contacts and opportunities both online and through CIPD branches
- Engage in CIPD’s “Future of Learning” forum to keep informed of latest research and thinking.
Our Diploma includes all five mandatory units listed below, plus two optional units. Each unit takes approximately 8 weeks to complete, including the assessment.
Our mandatory units:
Designing and developing digital and blended learning solutions
This unit will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to understand current digital technologies and their contribution to learning and development solutions. You’ll discover how to design blended learning solutions that make appropriate use of new technologies alongside more traditional approaches, and deliver engaging and effective digital content. You will understand the issues involved in the successful implementation of digital and blended learning solutions.
Developing professional practice in L&D
The aim of this unit is to familiarise you with current trends and practices in L&D, enabling you to develop a sound understanding of the core knowledge, skills and behaviours required by L&D professionals.
You’ll consider issues including work management, project management, creative problem-solving, teamwork and building effective professional relationships. And be able to identify development objectives, and devise and implement a plan for CPD.
Evaluating L&D in knowledge economy
The purpose of this unit is to develop your understanding of the evaluation of learning and development (L&D) within a business and knowledge economy. You’ll understand the purpose of evaluation, and explore different tools and techniques for evaluating L&D activities. The unit explores the challenges of evaluating L&D within a knowledge economy and how you can maximise the value of L&D within your organisation.
Understanding the context of L&D
You’ll explore, understand and analyse a range of factors (internal and external) which form the context of learning and development (L&D) practice. You’ll be able to analyse the key factors influencing achievement of strategic objectives in varying organisation contexts and their impact on learning and development policies and practice. You will then be able to position L&D policies and activities to achieve organisational strategic aims in a variety of contexts.
Using information, metrics and developing business cases for L&D
This unit develops your understanding of how information and metrics are used in contemporary practice, and how to construct a solid business case built on valid metrics and evidence. This unit will develop your knowledge and skills in identifying and reviewing data sources, analysing the findings, drawing conclusions and making recommendations. You’ll explore how research can improve understanding, aid decision-making and provide the basis for a change in practice.
You will also need to select two from the following Diploma units.
Developing leadership and management skills
The purpose of this unit is to understand and analyse the critical role of L&D in leadership and management development, and to understand the differences between the leadership and management. You will explore the different approaches to developing leaders and managers, and how to ensure the ownership and success of leadership and management development programmes.
Enhancing participant engagement in the learning process
You’ll develop your knowledge and understanding of how to maximise participant engagement throughout the learning process, and analyse classical and contemporary theories and models. You’ll explore the neuroscience and psychology of motivation, learning and change and how these can be used to inform practice. You will develop your ability to plan, manage and deliver learning that meets the needs of learners and stakeholders, underpinned by relevant psychological theories and research.
Facilitating collective and social learning
This unit explores both collective and social learning and the nature and impact of both within the workplace. You’ll investigate different models of collective and social learning and how these feed into organisational learning objectives, and the implications of social media tools and e-learning technologies. You will gain a solid understanding of the benefits and challenges of facilitating collective and social learning.
Managing the L&D business function
You’ll be equipped with the knowledge and skills required to manage and co-ordinate the business of L&D, and the evolving nature and purpose of the L&D function. You’ll explore the different models of delivering L&D solutions and the knowledge, skills and behaviours required for different L&D job roles, especially those required to manage and co-ordinate the function effectively, L&D strategy development and the management of the L&D team.
On successful completion of the programme, you’ll be awarded the CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Diploma in Learning and Development. The qualification is accredited by the CIPD and is on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 5.
Successful completion leads to Associate membership of the CIPD. Associate membership is the first level of professional membership of the CIPD, and allows you to use the designation Assoc CIPD after your name to showcase your credentials.
How to gain
To gain the CIPD Level 5 Intermediate Level Diploma in Learning and Development, you must successfully complete the five programme units plus two optional units.
For each of the seven units, you need to complete and fully participate in each unit.
- Each unit is 8 weeks long, inclusive of one study week in the middle, one assessment week at the end, and 3-5 live classes (dependent on unit)
- As a guide, each unit = 6 credits, 60 learning hours (30 guided) during the 8 weeks
- You must successfully pass the assessment for each unit (assessments are on a pass/fail/basis, with one chance to resubmit). Each unit is a stand alone programme.
All assessments will fall under these three types and are submitted and marked through the Virtual Campus:
- Project: Learners work towards producing one digital project. This is submitted and marked
- Portfolio: Learners submit several digital artefacts over the course of the unit
- Event: Learners work towards, carry out, then reflect on a real-world action. Learners submit evidence of the preparation, the actual event and reflection, with expert witness testimonial.
You will also be required to complete the mandatory unit ‘Future of Learning’.
There are no examinations for this qualification.
Please note that you are required to become a Student member of the CIPD at the start of your qualification. As well as giving you instant access to resources that will help you in your studies and at work, you’ll also benefit from numerous networking opportunities and some great discounts.
- Exclusive partnership between CIPD Enterprises and digital learning experts AVADO
- Benefit from unique content from CIPD L&D experts with cutting edge online learning techniques
- Flexible programme allowing you study when and where you want
- No exams, no mandatory face-to-face workshops
- Regular start dates, so no need to wait
- 24-hour access to our Virtual Learning Campus (VLC)
- Personal tutor support via phone, email and online
- Regular live interactive online classes, tailored to your group’s needs
- Social and collaborative learning, including forums and group work
- Free access to exclusive careers hub.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.