Who should attend
The Berkeley Chief Technology Officer (CTO) Program is ideal for the people in functional, technology solution-focused IT roles who are looking to advance their career - with the goal of moving on and moving up into a company-wide leadership role. Examples of the “level up” title this program will provide the skills for are:
- Chief Information Officer (CIO), Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Innovation Officer (CIO), or Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
- Vice President of Information Technology, Vice President of Product Development, or Vice President of Technology
- General Managers
- Heads of Function
- Heads of Business Units
- Regional Business Heads
About the course
The Chief Technology Officer program is designed for experienced participants in a technology function to step into senior management roles in their career. Through a unique mixture of theory, practical teaching methods, and practitioner interactions, this program delivers the hands-on experience and skills necessary to make that transition.
The program enables participants to take on a more strategic view of their organization's technology architecture and business landscape, enhance their business acumen, develop initiatives to lead the technology transformation, and implement the change management towards organizational success. The CTO program provides experiences participants who have already established a decision-making IT role, the hands-on knowledge, and experience necessary to step up in their career.
Develop an Agile and Effective Technology Strategy
- Enhance your approach to utilize tools (Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning) to move from data to insights to strategy
Establish Frameworks to Understand and Act Upon Future Technology Trends
- Create organizational frameworks to act upon future technology trends and opportunities
Identify Technology Solutions to Fill in Critical Organizational Gaps
- Identify and implement technology solutions to manage complex technical projects
Improve your Leadership and Executive Presence Skills
- Learn how to effectively lead teams, communicate a vision, and drive change management initiatives
The Berkeley CTO program delivers learning that will take your technology career to the next level. You will learn through lectures by faculty experts and specialists, case studies, group and individual exercises, and panel discussions with global leaders. The curriculum includes three core modules. Additionally, you can choose to specialize in specific areas by selecting two electives from a range of topical modules in line with your learning and career goals. The program culminates with a Capstone Strategy Project in which you will develop a roadmap for your organization’s technology strategy—either individually or as part of a team.
TOPIC 1 | Enterprise Technology Strategy
- Enterprise Technology Architecture
- Connecting IT to Business Strategy
- IT Strategy Framework
- IT Strategy Processes
- AI & ML: Implications to Enterprise
- Technology Strategy
TOPIC 2 | Leading Digital Transformation
- Frameworks for Technology Transformation
- Building a Digital Business Case
- IoT and Strategy Implications
- Future of Technology Trends and Strategy Implications
- Strategic Applications of Blockchain
- Technology in Existing Businesses
- Future of Blockchain Technology
- Technology Transformation in the Digital Age
- Implementation Methodologies for Complex Technical Projects
TOPIC 3 | Technology Policy, Privacy, and Security
- Security and Privacy Concerns— Strategy Considerations
- Technical and Policy Aspects of Security and Surveillance
- Where Cyber Policy and Technology Interact
- Corporate Cybersecurity
- Risk Modeling and Social Engineering
- Privacy, Security, and Technical Systems
TOPIC 4 | Elective Modules
During the CTO program, you will be able to choose two areas of specialization by selecting from a range of topical elective modules. These modules have been designed to enhance your technical skills, widen your business lens, and help you take the next step in your career. The elective modules will begin after the core modules are completed and will be covered over 6-8 weeks (each).
- Business Analytics for Leaders: Understand how Big Data can give your organization a strategic advantage in today’s data-driven business environment.
- Leading Complex Projects: Combine the latest research and case studies to get a new perspective on project management tools and techniques.
- Financial Data Analysis: Enhance your ability to interpret and apply financial data to your operational and strategic decision-making processes.
- Data Strategy: Learn how quantitative analytics can be used to refine your organization’s data strategy and innovate business models.
- Digital Marketing Analytics: Develop an end-to-end understanding of using web analytics tools to improve customer acquisition and engagement.
TOPIC 5 | Capstone Strategy Project
Across the CTO program experience, participants will complete a Capstone Strategy Project (small groups). The project asks participants to take the next steps in their organization’s technology strategy. Group coaching sessions will be led by an industry expert serving in a learning facilitator role and include high-touch discussions, office hours, and review sessions. Participants submit a presentation that covers the following:
- Summarize the opportunity
- List the prioritization criteria for the opportunity. Include, data alignment, cultural alignment, and success metrics
- Submit data inventory
- Use experimental techniques to test your technology strategy
- Assess the strategy implementation and propose next steps
- Participants have the opportunity to present their project outcomes during a final day showcase with faculty
Education PhD, Sociology, Columbia University MPhil, Sociology, Columbia University PhD, Economics/Geography, Utrecht University MA, Economics, Utrecht University BA, Economics, Utrecht University Positions Held At Haas since July 2015 2015 – present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Busin...
Education PhD, Economic Analysis and Policy, Stanford University MS, Mathematics, University of Arizona MA, Economics, University of Arizona MA, Quantitative Methods and Information Systems, Warsaw School of Economics BA, Quantitative Methods and Information Systems, Warsaw School of Economic...
Education PhD, Management (Marketing), INSEAD, France PhD, Computer Science, Eotvos Lorand University, Hungary MSc, Mathematics, Eotvos Lorand University, Hungary Positions Held At Haas since 2008 2008 – present, Assistant Professor of Marketing, Haas School of Business External Se...
Education PhD, Organizational Behavior/Sociology, Harvard University AM, Sociology, Harvard University MBA, Harvard Business School AB, Economics, magna cum laude, Harvard College Positions Held At Haas since July 2012 2012 – present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business 1993...
Education JD, UCLA School of Law BS, Computer Engineering & Management, Case Western Reserve University Positions Held At Haas since 2017 2007 – 2016, VP of Special Projects, Google 2005 – 2007, General Manager/VP, Drugstore.com 2004 – 2005, CEO/Founder, Big World Travel LLC 2000 – 2004, COO,...
Education PhD, Engineering Systems, Massachusetts Institute of Technology MS, Technology Policy, Massachusetts Institute of Technology BS, Symbolic Systems, Stanford University BA, Political Science, Stanford University Positions Held At Haas since 2009 2010 – present, Visiting Assi...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.