Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Toronto School of Public Policy & Governance.Full disclaimer.
Canada’s public sector faces an increasingly challenging operating environment. Budgets are strained while policy frameworks and service delivery models are being scrutinized and redesigned. This course offers strategies for effectively leading and implementing change programs in the public sector. The course will help public sector professionals understand and lead change initiatives in their organizations. Topics include: barriers to change, people management, communication strategies, and the importance of feedback mechanisms, common pitfalls, and innovative approaches to embedding change.
Leading Change Effectively in Government
Today’s public sector manager must have the skill-set to lead change and effectively manage projects that reduce costs and deliver higher service levels to Canadians.
This program teaches government managers and directors the essential leadership behaviours to drive innovation breakthroughs – and achieve lasting results in your department. Learn how to identify improvement opportunities, engage your team to be first-class innovators and achieve lasting program results.
World-class instructors will showcase outstanding examples from all levels of government. Plus apply successful team facilitation techniques to foster cutting edge thinking.
In association with the Institute of Public Administration of Canada.
A Top-Tier Teaching Faculty Drawing on Extensive Case Histories
The best way to advance your learning is to draw from other public departments’ successes and challenges. Attendees will hear from leaders like themselves, who have been tasked to successfully implement new changes and innovative thinking within the public sector.
What You Will Learn
- How to become an effective transformational leader
- How to develop a personal leadership style that fosters new thinking
- Receive change leadership guidance from four top-tier innovators in the Canadian and international arena
- How to integrate innovative processes in your organization
- Case reviews of the most successful public sector innovations – drawn from all levels of government
- How to translate cutting-edge thinking from outside the government to your public sector programs
- Steps to effectively engage and lead your teams to achieve operational efficiencies
- Review different streams of innovation as they relate to your overall programs, services and business strategies
- How to address change management in innovative environments
Course content details
1. Keys to Effective Public Sector Leadership
- The role of leadership in fostering change and innovation
- Leading vs. ordering others
- Public sector leadership vs. private sector
- Profiling top public service innovators
- The ‘leadership ladder’ in public management
** 2. Key Leadership Styles**
- Competencies of great public managers
- Developing your leadership style
- Using group knowledge as a leadership tool
- What can you learn from other leaders
3. Fostering Innovative Practices in Your Department
- How important is leadership in fostering innovation
- Establishing a culture of innovation
- Achieving successful department changes
- Using group knowledge as a leadership tool
4. Engaging Your Team: Applied Innovation
- Facilitating breakthrough innovations with staff
- Using team engagement techniques
- The concept of ‘diffused leadership’
- Fostering a culture of ideas and engagement
5. Developing a Leadership Strategy in Your Organization
- Assessing your leadership needs vs. organizational goals
- Executing a successful strategy
6. Leveraging Team Diversity & Experience
- Capitalizing on individual knowledge
- How can diversity contribute to innovation
- Effectively leading a diverse team
7. Public Administration Skills in a Global Context
- Developing global governance skills
- Public sector leaders in a global systems
Who should attend
If you are a public manager or director who wants to fully develop your change leadership and innovation skills, this course is ideal. It is a one-time opportunity to learn from four of Canada’s most experienced public sector innovators and change agents.
From launching new public programs and service initiatives to operational improvements, our world-class faculty will share advanced techniques for achieving lasting public sector improvements.