Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
While you will meet an international mix of participants from various industries, the Mergers and Acquisitions program is designed for mid-management to senior executives in the C-Suite, directors of public and private companies, board leaders, and heads of strategy and corporate development. It is also geared toward advisers, investment bankers, transactional lawyers, and private equity investors. Individuals and teams are welcome to attend.
About the course
The Certified Post Merger Integration Professional (CPMI) is a tailored program to address the needs of advisors, Human Resource professionals, Project Managers, management consultants, change specialists, corporate M&A and integration teams. The program covers all aspect of the post-merger integration process from planning to implementation. The CPMI program is the only globally oriented Post Merger integration certification in existence and is internationally recognized.
What to Expect
The Post Merger Integration program dives deep into the integration issues post acquisition or merger. It covers pre-closing preparation in terms of strategy, synergy identification, and integration planning as well as actually running and implementing the integration in terms of integration governance and project management. Also integration issues and aspects of different core functions, such as marketing & sales, finance, human resources, etc. are covered. Last but not least, there is an additional emphasis on change management in order to make the integration a success.
Whether you are involved in the integration as part of the acquiring or target company or assist clients as a consultant, this program will help you to understand the complexity in integration in its entirety and do a better job in dealing with its complexity.
In the highly interactive on-site course or the self-paced online course, you’ll take your skills to the next level by practicing:
- Plan for the integration the right way and early on Connect strategy with integration planning and design during the transaction, due diligence, and negotiation phases.
- Getting the synergies right Explore and corroborate the various synergies that can be achieved in different functions and the business be it cost and/or growth synergies and how to realize them.
- Succeed with Change Management Learn from our experts how to successfully implement the changes needed to align your goals, bringing organizations together and making the integration a success.
The CPMI program is structured in four modules based on our IMAA Framework and Body of Knowledge for Mergers & Acquisitions. It is available to take online or onsite.
Essentials of M&A
This module covers the fundamentals of Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Deal types: What are the different types of transactions that you can use in M&A? There is a whole range of deal types and deal continuum that we look at, e.g. the full spectrum from minority stakes to full acquisitions, various ways to arrange a merger, leveraged buy outs (LBOs), initial public offerings (IPOs), divestitures, spin-offs, equity carve-outs-
- M&A Process: The program covers both perspectives from a buyer’s perspective (buy side) and from a seller’s perspective (sell-side). We explore how to seek buyers or potential targets (long list & short list) and how to run a sale in various ways (negotiations and auctions).
- Strategies for M&A: We dive into the strategies for Megers & Acquisitions. How can you create competitive advantage through M&A, divestitures and equity alliance?
- M&A Negotiation: How can you prepare for the negotiation phase? What are ways to arrange a value creating deal?
- Introduction to Due Diligence: How do you prepare for and execute a smart Due Diligence to assure value creation? What are the different areas that can be covered in the Due Diligence process?
- Success Factors in Transactions: We explore the success factors and key challenges and mistakes to avoid. Which M&A tactics work in which industries?
- Takeover Strategies and Defence Tactics: How can you prepare your company against a hostile takeover attempt and reduce potential threats? Which are the defence mechanisms that you can put into place and how affective are they? Which ways exist to acquire a business successfully in a hostile way?
Integration Governance & Project Management
In this module, you will learn how to set up and execute the integration and look at the following issues:
- M&A deal types, implications for integration and key success factors: value maximization in M&A; acquisition climate and target resistance; directions of M&A integration; dependencies between the acquisition strategy and degree of integration; key success factors in M&A dynamics
- Integration Governance: Governance structure including Steering Committees, Integration Management Office (IMO), work-streams (functional and others), roles & responsibilities; integration design & implementation on day 1 execution; mobilizing the IMO; integrations as professional project management; handover from transaction team to integration team
- Integration Planning: Integration principles and planning directions; business goals and integration activities; integration playbooks
- Integration Process Models: Compact model; sub-project model; process model; hybrid model; development and tracking
- Balancing Integration activities and day-to-day business: business as usual challenges in integration; how to keep the focus on day-to-day business; clarification on key customer journeys; the role and benefits of quick wins
In this module, you will explore the drivers, challenges and key activities for the integration with respect to the different business functions, such as
- Marketing & Sales
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
Culture & Change Management
The module on Change Management will specifically address these issues in the deal environment and how to bring change successfully to organizations in the post acquisition or merger phase.
- Challenges in Change Management and M&A: Why it is needed and how to overcome the merger syndrome? How to deal with individual employees and groups in their different status in the integration journey? Factors needed for successful change. The general syndromes of resistance to change and how to overcome them.
- Day 1 and Change Management: The psychological shift in the M&A process from pre-deal to Day 1. The different dimensions and transition. Important work-stream considerations for Day 1.
- Cultural Assessment and Integration: Dimensions and categories of cultural assessment. Types of cultural integration. How to integrate the different business functions, e.g. Sales & Marketing, Finance, HR, etc.
- Communication: Pre-closing and post-closing communication. Internal and external communication in integration. Stakeholder expectations and management.
- 30 hours onsite or approx. 60 hours online
- Leading faculty from academia and the industry
- Split into four, easy-to-digest modules
- Content updated regularly
- Prequisite: Hold an academic degree (e.g. PhD, JD, DBA, MBA or Bachelor Degree); and/or hold one or more professional designations (such as CPA, CFA, CAIA, SHRM-CP or equivalent)
After successfully completing the course, you will receive the CPMI Charter. The CPMI designation is the most internationally recognized designation offered in the field of Post Merger Integration. This charter signals to peers, clients, employers, and other professionals that you have completed the most comprehensive PMI education program available and are proficient in all areas of the mergers and acquisitions process
Online Self Study Option
The online course offers all the extensive training of the onsite course but with maximum flexibility for busy professionals. This course is designed for self-study, with on-demand video lectures and required readings. The course assignments include real-life business case studies, multiple choice questions, and more. There is no time constraint to complete the online course; so you can set your own schedule and work at your own pace.
Industry expert on M&A, Industry 4.0, Enterprise Blockchain, Operational Excellence and Change Management Founder & Managing Director, Fifth Chrome; Faculty Member, IMAA; Specialities : - Mergers & Acquisitions, Post-merger Integration, Carve-Outs - Growth Strategy, Corporate V...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.