Certified Bank Director Programme
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Cambridge Judge Business School Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
In association with the Institute of Banking, Cambridge Judge Business School will bring practitioner and research-based perspectives to the issues of risk, governance, strategy and the regulatory environment faced by bank directors in the United Kingdom, Europe and globally.
We believe that continuous professional development should be a priority throughout your career and especially so at director level where responsibility for achieving business goals, ethical conduct and compliance falls squarely on your shoulders. The Certified Bank Director Programme will provide a forum where practitioners and other specialists can learn from one another and exchange valuable experiences that will open new doors to professional and personal success.
Recent scandals involving banks manipulating benchmarks (i.e. LIBOR) and sanctions compliance demonstrate the importance of integrity and transparency in bank operations and understanding the international political environment. Therefore the programme will address the major changes in banking regulation and its main purposes and priorities. Particular focus will be on how banking regulation and compliance can be integrated into bank strategy and governance. The programme will also cover developments in risk management and how evolving financial markets are presenting new risks for banks that must be managed and measured effectively. The main elements of bank accounting and financial statement analysis will be covered as well as conduct risk and how it can be managed more effectively in order to preserve and enhance bank reputation.
The programme will provide a blended learning environment based on face-to-face seminar sessions and a self-paced learning structure involving readings and interactive sessions between seminar participants. Sessions will be led by experts who have worked with global banks, advised on policy and researched the financial markets, they bring their expertise to the fore and stimulate the valuable debates that enable deeper understanding and critical thinking to take place.
The programme comprises nine modules delivered over 10 days across two blocks of five days' duration each.
A panel of subject area experts drawn from academia and industry lead each of the individual modules. The emphasis in the programme is on the application of key concepts to enhance the skills of participants and to create a learning forum where challenges can be explored and wisdom and insights dissected and shared.
Candidates play an important role in the success of the programme. Contextualising material in the day-to-day experiences of participants is an integral ingredient. Active participation and discussion to draw on each other's experiences is encouraged and facilitated by lecturers.
Block 1 (5 days)
Module 1 (0.5 days) Bank Governance I Module 2 (0.5 days) Prudential Regulatory Framework Module 3 (1 day) Bank Capital (including Stress Testing) Module 4 (2 days) Risk (I) Market, Liquidity, IRRBB Risk (II) Operational Risk and ERM (III) Conduct Risk Module 5 (1 day) Credit (Risk and Philosophy)
Block 2 (5 days)
Module 6 (1 day) Liquidity Management Module 7 (1 day) Analysis of Bank Financial Statements Module 8 (1 day) Bank Strategy Module 9 (2 days) Bank Governance II
- Understand the essence of a bank, the banking system, the lessons from the banking crisis, and the likely future development of banking post-crisis
- Appreciate the implications of recent regulatory changes and the legal, regulatory and governance framework relevant to board directors
- Know the components, measurement and control of bank risk, stress testing, funding and credit risk
- Comprehend the unique risk profile of banking models, including the systematic and systemic implications of risk-related policies in the context of strategy and the relationship between risk appetite, profitability and stakeholder maximisation
- Appreciate the efficacy of the internal governance processes and the application of best practice
- Understand the behaviours required from well-functioning boards and the expectations and requirements of individual directors.
The rewards from completing the programme extend beyond participating in the programme itself:
- Build a strong network of bank director and industry contacts from the programme
- Recognition within the banking industry as having embraced the highest standards in your profession
- Become part of a community of bank professionals who recognise the value of governance education and share similar values and beliefs in relation to best practice governance standards
- Access to a forum (Certified Bank Director portal) for ensuring your own continuing professional development
Who should attend
- Executive and non-executive directors of the main and subsidiary boards of banks
- New bank directors and those with experience operating in a significantly changed regulatory landscape
- Senior managers aspiring to be bank executive directors