Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program has been designed to benefit executives and professionals with at least two years’ retail sector experience who are looking to broaden their skill set and enhance their effectiveness in strategic roles. It is perfect for:
- Vice presidents and directors of retail operations
- District, regional and store sales managers
- Non-sales general managers and business owners who are responsible for retail performance and policies
- Successful senior professionals who wish to make a transition to the retail sector
About the course
This five-day program – developed in partnership with The Retail Council of Canada (RCC) and Graff Retail, and delivered by renowned industry expert coaches – will equip retail managers in both the brick and click space with the advanced perspectives and cross-functional skill set they need to become more effective retail executives.
"Providing our next generation of retail leaders with the support and training required to assume executive retail leadership positions has always been one of the leading visions of the Retail Council of Canada. So, we are delighted to partner with the Schulich Executive Education Centre and Graff Retail to offer the SEEC Certificate of Excellence in Retail Management. The Certificate integrates a pertinent retail management curriculum delivered by some of the best retail leaders and experts in Canada. This is a great new initiative and one welcomed by the industry." — Diane J. Brisebois / President & CEO,Retail Council of Canada
Top Reasons To Choose This Program
- Improve your skillsets in situational leadership, operational retail practices, coaching for performance and understanding the business of retail
- Learn from Canada’s industry leading retail executives and business leaders
- Lead your market with advanced retail models and techniques, integrated operational plans and leading customer engagement methods.
Today’s retail environment is more challenging than ever.
In addition to battling the traditional pressures of constrained profitability, a sluggish economy, shaky consumer confidence and sales staff turnover, retailers are dealing with a dizzying array of new eternal threats. These include disruptive technologies and business models, increasing online competition, changes in demographics and preferences, and customers expecting an omni-channel world with seamless interactions at every touch point.
Successfully navigating these complex, dynamic pressures and challenges requires a unique set of retail-specific management and leadership skills and tools. This five-day program – developed in partnership with The Retail Council of Canada (RCC) and Graff Retail, and delivered by renowned industry expert coaches – will equip retail managers in both the brick and click space with the advanced perspectives and the cross-functional skill set they need to become more effective retail executives.
Course content details
Day 1: Understanding Retail
The Evolution of Retail
- The shifting economic landscape and fundamental reengineering of retail
- Reasons for the massive number of store closures
- How the best retailers are recreating customer expectations
- Five key strategies every retailer needs to adopt to survive
- Leveraging hyper connectivity to drive engagement
- Activating the huge amounts of collected data
- Marketing in a world of word-of-mouth
- Understanding bricks vs clicks
- The five marketing commandments
Day 2: Strategy and Leadership
- Key elements of a strategy
- Bringing organizational strategy to life
- Aligning field tactics with corporate vision
- Developing an actionable framework for implementation
- Defining outcomes and measuring indicators
- Assessing your natural leadership style
- Modifying it to most effectively drive retail performance
- Diagnosing gaps in staff performance with a practical framework
Day 3: Managing the Store
- Employee engagement as an amplifier and differentiator
- The leader’s role in building and championing culture for the organization
- The purpose/cause-driven organization
- The interplay of employee value proposition, vision, mission, values and leadership brand
- How operating systems make good managers great and great managers brilliant
- Current operating models for retail stores
- Understanding or building your own retail store model
- How vision, mission, and leadership values support the model
- The leader’s role in bringing the model to life.
Day 4: Managing Teams and Performance
- Building teams and getting the best performance from them
- Strategies to effectively reduce staff turnover rates
- A strategic approach to recruiting
- The blueprint you need to get your teams to work both smarter and harder
- The fundamental guidelines for every performance coaching scenario
- Five proven conflict management strategies that work
- How to deal with broken behaviours and poor results effectively
- A model to deliver feedback that will quickly address performance and improve your professional communication skills
Day 5 – Managing the Business
The Business of the Business
- Understanding financial performance factors essential for operational success
- Driving sales and managing both expenses and inventory to deliver profitable growth as well as high return on investment
Partnering for Success
- Creating competitive advantage with internal and external partnerships
- Partnership definitions and types of partnership models
- Build vs buy – when does it makes sense to have someone else build your strategy?
- Building and executing on shared service work teams
Michael Taylor is a senior partner with The Poirier Group, a management consultancy company, and comes with more than 25 years of strategy and business development experience for major corporations in Canada. Prior to joining The Poirier Group, Michael was a senior vice-president with Mastercard’...
Prinicpal, PROAC Consulting Haniyeh’s expertise is in change management, conflict resolution, effective team work and influential leadership. In addition to teaching graduate level business courses for a number of universities, she also provides integrative management consulting services to mult...
Leader of Shopper Outcomes, NextPX Mckesson Canada Scott has a 20-year track record working with some of North America’s largest brands, disrupting the status quo in consumer experience in retail. He is a seasoned expert at blending innovation in technology with business processes in unique ways ...
President, Graff Retail Inc. Kevin is widely respected as one of North America’s best retail speakers and consultants and was recently chosen as one of the Top 50 Retail Influencers in the world. Work he has completed for his retail clients has captured the Retail Council of Canada’s Award for Be...
Senior Vice President Information Technology, Loblaw Companies Limited David has lead the IT transformation at Loblaw since 2006, establishing and realizing its mission to be the best retail technology organization in Canada. This has been achieved by delivering high-value, business-strategy enab...
President, Sporting Life Group Chad is a proven retail brand builder who has worked in both private and public companies and has managed a portfolio of both corporate and franchise networks. His unique skill set is in building culture, elevating the employee experience and operationalizing strate...
Executive VP, Finance & CFO, Westjet At Westjet, Harry is responsible for accounting, financial reporting, financial planning & analysis, investor relations, internal audit, procurement, treasury and tax. Before joining WestJet, Harry spent more than 20 years in senior finance and operati...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.