This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
An essential program for new public sector trustees working with employee pensions, this program addresses the fundamental areas involved in managing employee pension plans. Sessions dissect the basics of what you need to know for your role and the distinguished faculty bring real-life scenarios and years of experience to enrich the content and your takeaways.
To earn your CAPPP® in Employee Pensions, Part I and Part II must be completed along with a take-home exam.
- This session will provide an overview of the governance of public pension and health plans including a broad-based orientation addressing issues, duties and responsibilities.
- Participate in an interactive environment with small-group discussions to gain a deeper knowledge of governance issues.
- Legal Environment
- An overview of the legal environment in which public plans operate, review fiduciary duties and the role of fiduciary decision making.
- Apply legal concepts to hypothosized situations and familarize policy makers with necessary components of advice.
- Legislative/Regulatory Developments
- Learn about the challenges and benefits of public sector plans, review the evolution of public pension regulation using common examples and learn about new federal laws that are impacting governmental plans.
- Actuarial Principles
- Review the characteristics of traditional group insurance, basic methods and assumptions, prefunding concepts, data analysis, and more.
Benefits of Attending
- A cost-effective way to get thorough, on-target information to assist you in policy-making decisions
- An examination of the role of trustees and their relationship to other public benefit plan functions
- Firsthand knowledge shared by leading consultants and practitioners working with public sector employee benefits
- Valuable resource materials for future reference
- An educational benchmark of excellence for the public sector
Who should attend
- Public sector benefit plan trustees at all levels of experience
- Representatives of public funds of various types, sizes and geographical areas who wish a high-level overview
- Individuals who need a comprehensive understanding of public employee plan management at the policy-making level
Trust the experts
Willig, Williams & Davidson Partner James S. Beall advises and represents a wide variety of public and private-sector single and multi-employer funds on comprehensive employee benefit and tax matters. He specializes in employee benefits law for the firm’s joint labor-management pension and we...
Mr. Castellano is the former benefits manager for the City of San Jose. He also managed employee benefits on an interim basis for the County of San Mateo and the City of San Mateo. In San Jose, Mr. Castellano managed all aspects of the welfare benefits program (currently 13,000 lives) plus the de...
Mr. Joyner is a vice president and actuary in the Segal Atlanta office. He is Segal’s Public Sector Retirement Practice Leader and a member of its Public Sector Leadership Group. Mr. Joyner has over 40 years of actuarial consulting experience with all types of pension plans. He currently is the c...
Mr. Maurek retired as the chief operating officer of the Public Employees’ Retirement Association of Colorado (Colorado PERA). In that role he was responsible for managing all aspects of member contacts and benefit administration. Mr. Maurek previously served as manager of strategy and innovation...
Professional Designations Fellow, Society of Actuaries Member, American Academy of Actuaries Education MS, Actuarial Science, College of Business Administration, Georgia State University Current Responsibility Jim is a principal and consulting actuary with the Albany office of Milliman. He ...
Ms. Nicholson is the principal of J | N Consulting, where she provides various consulting services including facilitating discussions on board governance, strategic planning, benefit design, administration, operations and performance management to boards and executives of pension and health and w...
Stuart W. Davidson has represented labor unions and employee benefit plans since graduating from Harvard Law school in 1982. Stuart began his legal career by successfully defending the pension rights of state employees in a case that was ultimately decided by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Resi...
Mr. Ochoa is a senior consultant in the health and welfare practice for Ascende. Prior to Ascende, he worked for over 25 years at several carriers in the insurance industry in a variety of capacities. Mr. Ochoa started his career with Prudential Healthcare as a group underwriter. He took a positi...
Ms. Eitelberg is the national director of The Segal Company’s public sector market and member of Segal’s senior management team. As an expert in public pension design, financing and administration, she consults with clients to develop and implement strategic solutions to operational, governance, ...
Professional Designations Fellow, Society of Actuaries Member, American Academy of Actuaries Enrolled Actuary, ERISA Education BS, Mathematics and Chemistry, Whitworth College Current Responsibility Mark is a principal with the Seattle office of Milliman. He joined the firm in 1990. Exper...