Certificate in School Management and Leadership (csml): Leading Change
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Harvard Graduate School of Education.Full disclaimer.
The Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML) is designed to provide preK-12 school leaders at all stages of their careers with frameworks, skills, and knowledge to drive change and to lead high-performing schools.
An innovative collaboration between the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and Harvard Business School (HBS), the program integrates distinctive capabilities from both schools, combining expertise in managing teams and organizations with a commitment to school and instructional leadership.
CSML will comprise four distinct yet interrelated courses, which may be taken individually or completed together to earn a comprehensive certificate. Together, these courses address topics most vital to leading successful schools. These four courses are:
- Leading Change
- Leading Schools
- Leading People
- Leading Learning
Leading Change: A CSML Course
Principals are key change agents for their schools; driving change requires the management and leadership skills to help diverse stakeholders establish priorities and improve practice. Offered as a course within the Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML), Leading Change will focus on three essentials for driving school improvement:
- Adaptive Leadership: Learn and apply a framework for building and distributing leadership in your school, engaging and empowering others in solving your school’s most challenging problems, including those that require shifts in beliefs and practices.
- Culture: Operationalize the fundamental belief that it is the principal who can and should set the culture of a school. Learn how to establish a sense of urgency, craft and communicate a strong vision, and actively shape your school culture to support your most important work.
- Equity: Develop the knowledge and skills to lead a diverse school community that supports all students in reaching their potential. Explore equity challenges and priorities in schools today, leverage data to identify opportunities, reorient policies and practices to support equity, and cultivate the mindsets and expectations that promote excellence for all.
Who should attend
CSML is intended for principals looking to deepen their knowledge of leadership and management in schools, including:
- aspiring, early career, and experienced school leaders
- district, charter, faith-based, and independent school leaders