Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is designed for public administration professionals and is not suitable for elected officials. This program is ideal if you:
- Are a mid to senior-level manager who leads one or more teams
- Are interested in further developing effective management and leadership skills in a municipal setting
- Face competing priorities and want to learn how to make more informed decisions that benefit all stakeholders
About the course
The Certificate in Municipal Management and Leadership (CMML) develops municipal leaders by increasing their capacity to lead people, teams, departments, and organizations. As a participant of this program, you will gain a deep understanding of yourself as a leader. You will learn to shift your focus from day-to-day tasks to strategically achieving the organization’s business goals while managing change and stakeholder expectations through effective leadership. Throughout the program’s duration, you will form long-lasting networks with like-minded managers from across the province, which will prove themselves valuable as your learning continues in your future day-to-day. Through this program, you will:
- Explore leadership challenges in municipal government and apply leadership theory to actual case scenarios
- Explore the ethical behaviors municipal managers should demonstrate to maintain the trust and confidence of the public
- Analyze leadership style preferences against requirements of the role
- Assess leadership communication strengths and opportunities
- Explore how to manage change and deliver results in an increasingly challenging manner
- Learn to understand behavior patterns in others, explore the impact of communication and Emotional Intelligence on others, and use instruments to effectively coach constituents through the use of a variety of tools and models
This program includes six modules, including:
- Module 1: Leading & Managing Municipalities
- Module 2: Leading Self and Others
- Module 3: Change Management
- Module 4: Business Case Development & Negotiations
- Module 5: Commit to Your Leadership Abilities
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.