Who should attend
- Designed for technical professionals with a degree in Engineering or Applied Sciences some successful participants have had only workplace equivalent 3 to 6 years minimum work experience, more experience required for super-specialists
- High potential individuals across functions
- Past participant titles include individual contributor, team lead, manager, director
About the course
Essential Business Knowledge for Emerging Leaders
The CMTP is designed to help participants expand their awareness, appreciation, and knowledge for how organizations operate. Bolster skills with essential knowledge and tools in business, leadership, operations, finance, negotiations, and more. Make a greater impact and solve organizational challenges with an enhanced understanding of business.
This prestigious certificate program, offered by UC Irvine's top-ranked Paul Merage School of Business, is specifically designed to provide critical business education for emerging leaders in all technical fields.
- Learn how to view business as an integrated system
- Expand perspectives and think strategically
- Prepare to take on more dynamic roles in your organization
- Broaden business skills to complement a technical background
- Develop a big picture mindset to understand how your actions impact the whole
- Learn best practices from distinguished faculty, industry professionals, and peers
- 5 full days delivered over 10 weeks (every other Friday)
- 2 modules per program day, delivered on campus
- 72 hours of learning, 40 hours of classroom instruction
- World-class Merage School faculty pair with executive practitioners from global enterprises
- Interactive program sessions
- Program specific website resource – web-based platform to enhance learning before, during, and after the program
- Program cost may be used as financial credit towards a graduate degree program
- Leadership & Influence
- Business Strategy
- Global & Cross-Cultural Negotiations
- Critical Thinking & Decision-Making
- Finance for Non-Financial Managers
- Innovation & Product Development
- Operations/Supply Chain Management
- Professional Presence
"Dedicated Program Website" - Interactive Resource
Students engage materials and each other through a web-based Educational Container that enhances the learning experience before, during, and after each module. Pre-readings, extended reference libraries, videos, and additional materials are available around the clock to students. Interactions with peers, faculty, executive practitioners, and program staff are enhanced by chat, blog and posting capabilities. During the program, students maximize the value of their learning through interactive dialogue and group activities. After the program has ended, students have ongoing access to the full multimedia reference library, enhancing their ability to apply their learning in the service of enterprise initiatives as well as their own career development.
Pre-Work (2-4 hours)
- Introductory video
- Learning objectives
- Pre-module assignments
- Online quiz
Interactive Classroom Learning (4 hours)
- Academic faculty and executive practitioners co-design an co-teach module
- Recorded sessions for review
- Resources to enable transfer of learning to the workplace
- Reference Library
- Topical and timely articles
- Optional online chats and discussions
MBA, USC; BA, UCI Corporations, non-profits, universities, and religious institutions call on Sasha’s company to help create and communicate their brand’s reason to believe. Sasha Strauss is a branding industry veteran, with two decades leading brand strategy programs worldwide. In 2006, Sasha f...
Sanjeev Dewan is a professor of information systems at the UCI Paul Merage School of Business and is the Faculty Director of the Master of Science in Business Analytics program. Prior to joining UCI in Fall 2001, he served on the faculties of the business schools at the University of Washington, ...
Chris Bauman's research addresses how people make sense of and respond to their social environment, including the individuals, groups, and organizations with whom they interact. One line of his research focuses on how individuals determine issues of ethics and fairness. This work includes studies...
Professor Schwarz has been at the Paul Merage School of Business since July 2008. Prior to arriving at UCI, he received his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. During his doctoral studies, he was also a Visiting Doctoral Fellow at Yale University’s International Center of Finance ...
Margarethe F. Wiersema holds the Dean’s Professorship in Strategic Management at The Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine. She has an MBA and PhD from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. The recipient of numerous awards for excellence in researc...
John Joseph is an Associate Professor of Strategy at the University of California Irvine’s Paul Merage School of Business. John received his PhD from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He also holds an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. John h...
Born and raised in Germany, Dr. Thomas Eppel holds a PhD in Mathematical Psychology from the University of Southern California. He taught at various universities both in the U.S. and in Europe, including Purdue University, Pepperdine, TIAS and Mannheim Business School. He currently teaches at the...
Professor Bradford studies consumer rituals. Through publication and teaching, she creates and disseminates knowledge to the theory and practice of marketing with students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. She obtained degrees from Northwestern University including a Bachelor of Arts in A...
B.S. Ceramic Engineering, University of Illinois, 1987 As a part-time lecturer with 25+ years in the high tech industry, my goal is to serve as a bridge between academia and industry. In addition to supporting in the class, I enjoy helping with career advice, resume writing, interviewing skills ...
In a world where consumers are being trained to buy products as if they were commodities, Tony Crisp is a marketing consultant who is helping businesses to fight commoditization and increase the sales of their own branded products. Specializing in technology products with a focus on brand strateg...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.