Who should attend
- Clinicians and healthcare professionals who want to drive personal and organizational advancement
- Leaders, managers and administrators from hospitals, medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance firms
- Product and service innovators who have a vision of the industry's future
- Individuals from all disciplines who are passionate about the healthcare industry and transformation
About the course
Essential Business Knowledge for Empowerment in the New Paradigm
The healthcare value chain is undergoing major transformation. Traditional education and training has not prepared healthcare professionals for this new environment. In response to this need, the Office of Executive Education at top-ranked UC Irvine's Paul Merage School of Business presents the prestiguous Certificate in Leadership for Healthcare Transformation. Now is the time for clinicians and administrators to acquire new skills and frameworks necessary to thrive and lead in tomorrow's healthcare landscape.
As the healthcare paradigm shifts from “Fee for Service” to “Fee for Value,” it is critical for professionals throughout healthcare and related industries to understand the new relationships and navigate them confidently.
The CLHT program prepares participants to be leaders throughout the healthcare transformation by:
- Analyzing healthcare delivery as an integrated value chain
- Increasing understanding of the healthcare industry and current environment
- Providing knowledge, skills, frameworks, and tools to drive change and solve unprecedented challenges
- Enhancing ability to collaborate and operate cross-functionally
- World-class Merage School faculty pair with highly experienced, healthcare industry executive practitioners to deliver relevant and practical modules through highly interactive sessions
- Program-specific Educational Container website enhances the learning experience
- An orientation dinner plus five full days of instruction (one full day scheduled approximately once per month)
- Two modules per program day, delivered on the UCI campus
- Valuable networking opportunities throughout the program
- Approximately 70 hours of learning with forty hours of interactive classroom instruction and facilitation
- Transformational Leadership
- Business Strategy
- Change Management
- Critical Thinking & Decision-Making
- Finance for Non-Financial Managers
- Value Proposition
- Best Practice Business Processes
- Strategic Value from Information Technology
- Conflict Management
"Dedicated Program Website" - Interactive Resource
Students engage materials and each other through a web-based Educational Container that enhances the learning experience before, during, and after each module. Pre-readings, extended reference libraries, videos, and additional materials are available around the clock to students. Interactions with peers, faculty, executive practitioners, and program staff are enhanced by chat, blog and posting capabilities. During the program, students maximize the value of their learning through interactive dialogue and group activities.
Sanjeev Dewan is a professor of information systems at the UCI Paul Merage School of Business and is the Faculty Director of the Master of Science in Business Analytics program. Prior to joining UCI in Fall 2001, he served on the faculties of the business schools at the University of Washington, ...
Chris Bauman's research addresses how people make sense of and respond to their social environment, including the individuals, groups, and organizations with whom they interact. One line of his research focuses on how individuals determine issues of ethics and fairness. This work includes studies...
Romilla Batra, MD, MBA, is a lecturer in The Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine. Additionally, she serves as a volunteer faculty for UC Irvine's School of Medicine. Currently, Dr. Batra is the Chief Medical Officer for the SCAN Health Plan where she is responsible for key strategic and q...
John Joseph is an Associate Professor of Strategy at the University of California Irvine’s Paul Merage School of Business. John received his PhD from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He also holds an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. John h...
Mireille Jacobson is a health economist and nationally recognized expert on Medicare cancer payment policy. She has received grants from the National Institute on Aging, the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute on Child Health and Development, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and ...
Christopher Schwarz’s research interests include the management, disclosure, and operational risk of the investment fund industry and the impact of manager incentives and structure on investment fund performance. His research has been published in such leading academic journals as the Journal of ...
Chief Executive Officer, Concierge Key Health Chair of the Board of Trustees, California Association of Hospitals and Health Systems Former President & CEO, St. Joseph’s Hoag Health Dr. Richard Afable is the retired CEO of St. Joseph Hoag Health, the largest hospital-based health system in...
Born and raised in Germany, Dr. Thomas Eppel holds a PhD in Mathematical Psychology from the University of Southern California. He taught at various universities both in the U.S. and in Europe, including Purdue University, Pepperdine, TIAS and Mannheim Business School. He currently teaches at the...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.