Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This certificate is ideal for architects, interior designers, and hotel consultants interested in gaining an understanding of the challenges and considerations involved in full-service hotel design; owners/developers and construction managers for whom full-service hotels represent a new building type; and architecture students who want to develop a specialization in full-service hotels.
About the course
In this 5-course certificate program, owners, developers, and designers of full-service hotels will learn to plan and design effective, financially viable hotel properties and successfully perform their roles in the hotel development process.
The program begins with a look at hotel types, marketing concepts, branding practices, and development roles, followed by a study of initial planning decisions, the application of marketing requirements to functional areas, and the use of planning metrics. The focus then turns to specific design considerations for guestrooms, public spaces, and “back-of-house” areas.
The courses feature a set of downloadable tools containing guidelines and reference material for hotel developers and designers. A progression of course projects give participants an opportunity to apply their learning to specific hotel development scenarios.
The courses in this certificate will equip you to…
- Plan successful full-service hotels by mastering foundational concepts involving roles, markets, and hotel types
- Make high-level decisions appropriate for the selection and placement of components of a full-service hotel
- Plan effective guestroom areas appropriate for different types of markets
- Ensure optimal use of space and circulation of people and goods in the public spaces of a hotel
- Develop efficient back-of-house areas that match the needs of a full-service hotel and its market
This certificate has 5 online courses requiring ~50 hours to complete.
- Foundations of Hotel Planning
- Hotel Back-of-House Design
- Hotel Guestroom Design
- Hotel Public Space Design
- Initial Hotel Planning Decisions
Participants who successfully complete all 5 courses in this certificate series will receive a Certificate in Hotel Planning and Design from Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration. Participants will also receive .6 Professional Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for each course that is successfully completed.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.