Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Executives and managers looking for a refresher to help tackle strategic challenges at their organizations
- Emerging leaders looking to improve their ability to articulate and understand strategy and position themselves for advancement
About the course
Get the tools, frameworks and insights to help you create and drive successful, agile strategies for your organization. This noncredit certificate consists of three interlocking programs.
Whether you are an experienced business professional looking to refresh your strategy know-how or completely new to developing strategy, this three-program noncredit certificate will give you the confidence and skills to assess industry and organization structure, develop a plan to grow your firm, and formulate and recommend business strategy.
Led by Darden strategy experts, Professors Michael Lenox and Jared Harris, this engaging program features multiple opportunities to practice your analytic skills, as well as program mentors and peer feedback to ensure that you get the support you need to develop and implement a sustainable, successful strategy.
Earn the Darden Certificate in Business Strategy by completing the following three programs:
- Strategy Analysis - Develop your ability to think strategically, analyze your firm’s positioning, develop competitive advantage, and recommend your firm’s value proposition. You’ll learn how to use key analysis and frameworks to better understand the foundations of successful business strategy.
- Growth Strategy - Learn how to analyze, evaluate and recommend specific actions organizations can take to grow their value, while also avoiding common growth pitfalls. Explore the various options for pursuing growth - from scaling existing markets and entering established markets to creating new markets - and determine which would work best for your organization.
- Strategy Planning - Gain the tools you need to analyze strategy over time, industries, geographies and institutions so that you can develop and implement your own strategic plan by the end of this online course.
These three programs will release sequentially on the learning platform as you finish each one.
Impact & Outcomes
- Use various analyses to guide decision making (SWOT, competitor, environmental, capabilities, etc.)
- Assess an industry's structure and how the competitive dynamics in an industry affect profitability
- Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of four generic competitive positions
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to scale an organization
- Assess the impact of a potential merger and acquisition and learn to avoid the common pitfalls of this type of growth
- Discover how to enter new markets and apply game theory to analyze, assess and respond to competitors
- Explore ways to build an innovative capability, add value from innovation and determine an innovation strategy
- Understand the dynamics of competition, the competitive life cycle, and how to develop strategies to survive and thrive through industry disruption
- Learn how businesses compete across industries, the value of being in different markets, and the right degree of diversification
- Discover how, where, and when to enter foreign markets, and foreign direct investment
Format & Time Commitment
This is a self-paced program conducted entirely online. Each week, participants should expect to spend approximately two to six hours on instructional videos, readings and assignments, as well as a program project. You’ll be able to use your own organization or any public company as the basis for projects that put your learning into immediate action. Darden-trained mentors facilitate conversations and classmates give and receive feedback through online discussions. Learners can typically complete this program in 3-6 months, however the program will be open for 8 months to allow plenty of time for completion.
Education : B.S., MS, University of Virginia; Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Lenox was appointed to the Tayloe Murphy Professorship in Business Administration at the University of Virginia''s Darden School of Business, where he teaches the core MBA strategy course. He als...
Education: B.S. and MAcc, Brigham Young University; Ph.D., University of Minnesota Associate Professor Jared Harris, appointed to the Samuel L. Slover Research Professorship, teaches both Ethics and Strategy courses in Darden''s MBA program and a doctoral seminar on corporate governance and ethi...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.