Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program benefits managers with a minimum of two years’ direct employee management experience
About the course
Enhance your skills in all fundamental management areas
Including business management and leadership, project management, effective business writing, communication and presentation skills, stress management, critical thinking and problem solving, budgeting and financial reporting, and action planning.
In this management skills training course you’ll learn to communicate persuasively, develop project frameworks, lead and coach staff, and prepare budgets and financial analysis to support your business proposals and decisions. Foster relationships with senior management, clients and cross-functional teams, and apply new skills to your own long-term management development plan.
What You Will Learn
- The most important leadership competencies for managers
- How to convey your message persuasively in your business writing and verbal presentations
- Critical thinking, innovation and problem solving techniques to tackle any business challenge
- Using project management frameworks for all of your assignments
- Effective leadership and team-building strategies
- Preparing budgets and financial analysis to support your business decisions
- Productivity management and stress management techniques
- Coaching your staff for success
- How to foster relationships with senior management, clients and cross-functional teams
- How to apply your course learnings to create your own long-term management development plan
- Communicate more assertively and diplomatically to upper management, peers, and staff
Business Management Strategies
Strategic Behaviours of Top Performing Managers
- Complex problem solving
- Becoming operationally invaluable
- Managing through 360 degrees
Moving Your Strategy Forward
- How to get your ideas approved
- Make the Clientship© relationship work for you
Critical Thinking, Innovation and Problem-Solving Skills
Managing Individual and Team Problem-Solving
- Determining the level of issue or problem
- Selecting the right approach to problem solving
Managing the Innovation Process
- Innovation and business performance
- The 4-step Innovation Process
Management Communications Skills
Influencing Others to Achieve Performance Results
- Communicating with a clear focus
- Giving your message impact
- Giving constructive feedback with a positive spin
- Plannning crucial messaging
- Influencing others for performance
Taking Control of Your Stress
Productivity Building By De-Stressing Your Workload
- “Productivity” management from six levels
- Understanding your stress trigger points
- Workload management tips
- Managing home and work demands
- Resisting perfectionism
- Delegating effectively
- Acquire tools to self-manage self-defeating stress responses
- Learn ways to manage the stresses of management more productively
Leadership and Teambuilding Skills in Action
Steps to Leading High-Performance, High-Functioning Departments
- What makes leadership effective?
- How we think about leadership vs. management
- Leadership and engagement
Coaching, Motivating and Energizing Your Business Teams
- Designing and implementing coaching tools and approaches in your team
Foundations in Financial Management Skills
Interpreting Financial Reports to Support Decision-Making
- How to read and interpret financial statements:
- Balance sheets
- Income statements
- Statements of retained earnings
Using Financial Ratios and Analysis to Assess a Company’s Financial Health
- What measures assist key decision making
- Formulas for calculating and interpreting ratios, plus profit/cost analysis
Project Management Skills for Success
Project Management Foundations
- Understanding project success
- Integrating the three core objectives
- Applying a consistent project management framework
Critical Elements of Project Success
- Obtain organizational buy-in
- Scope the project
- Choose the best scheduling method
- Assess and manage risk
- Plan and control communications
- Minimize and manage change
- Close the project – key components
- Understanding the five essential project documents
Effective Business Writing Skills
Excelling in Five Unique Business Writing Styles
- Formal business correspondence
- Sales and marketing communications
- E-mail correspondence
- Internal staff memos and office communications
- Business presentations
Foundations for Better Business Writing
- Setting Clear Objectives in Your Writing
- Sizing up and guiding your audience
- Logical writing practices and punctuation punch-up
Verbal Presentation Skills Training
Presenting to Executives and Senior Managers
- How executives make decisions
- What executives expect
- The added value you must provide
- Responding to challenges and disagreements
Your Presentation Strategy
- Acheiving authority, intention, persuasiveness and control
- The only presentation Agenda you’ll ever need
- Organize your thoughts in half the time
- The power of summarizing and probing
- Putting It All Together
- Reshape perception of you as a leader
- Decision-making tools
- Presentation skills overview
- What new ideas have you gained?
- What new possibilities do you see?
Creating a New Value Map
- What results do you need to see?
- Value ratings through 360 degrees
- Identifying Allies and Blockers
Putting Business Management in Action
- The first 90 days
- A personal action plan
- A critical path for your success
- Wrapping up your learning outcomes into actionable items
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years....
Biography Gail is one of Canada’s most experienced negotiators and professional instructors in the field of business negotiating and innovative negotiated solutions. She is a Harvard University trained specialist in both collaborative and competitive bargaining methods, and facilitates negotiatio...
Biography Sandi is President of The Martyn Group, a consulting company specializing in project management training, project design and implementation. She has more than 20 years of experience managing projects in all categories including construction, information systems, production, financial, t...
Dom is an accomplished accounting instructor and sought-after speaker at Schulich. He has been appointed a Fellow Chartered Professional Accountant, a prestigious distinction awarded to CPAs who have demonstrated excellence in the profession. He is also a Certified Management Consultant, and oper...
Stephen Friedman is an executive coach, career coach, facilitator and trainer, working in the areas of management interpersonal skills, group development, strategic thinking skills and HR for numerous organizations and individuals. His experience with in this area spans over 20 years. He speciali...
Lee-Anne McAlear is Program Director, Centre of Excellence in Applied Innovation Management for the Schulich Executive Education Centre, York University. Lee-Anne is an experienced facilitator, writer, consultant and speaker with a background in innovation, leadership development, strategic plann...
Michael holds his PhD from Cambridge University. He worked at CIBC Wealth Management and Franklin Templeton Investments in Toronto before returning to York in 2001 to work at the York University English Language Institute (YUELI), where he is the Associate Director. Michael is lead teacher in YUE...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.